Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add my brother as an AU if he is blacklisted? Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I add my brother as an AU if he is blacklisted? Amex

I was approved for the Business Rewards Gold today, and I am debating on adding my brother who burned Amex last year in bankruptcy. I know it's not possible to add him as an AU on my personal Platinum card, but are business cards treated any different? 

I tried searching, but the information I found was obscure, and hope someone will clarify. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can I add my brother as an AU if he is blacklisted? Amex

This is a very good question. I don't have personal experience with blacklisted customers being added to a business card but best guess is that they wouldn't be able to hold a card even as an AU just like the personal accounts. The good news is there have been some very recent datapoints on personal cards that people have been getting around this loophole by adding a friend/family member by just providing the name of the new cardholder and then later on adding the DOB/SS# before the 60 day period is over to make it official. They've reported no adverse action in keeping the cars after even though when they try they still can't get a card of their own. I'll try to find the link and post it here when I find it.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SimplyNoir

Your response is very appreciated Noir! Thank you!

I will add him as an AU without initially providing the dob and see if he's able to keep the card.

Whatever happens Ill update
Message 3 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Still trying to find the link but if their personal card experiences are an indicator he should be fine. I would suggest that he carry an alternate means of payment just case they initially approve him then shut the card down unexpectedly down the line. Never hurts to have a backup.
Message 4 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My brother has a similar situation with AMEX: score in the high 700's but consider him "derogatory" in terms of relationship. It stem from a charge-off in the late 90's. While the derogatory mark fell off his credit reports in 2006, as recently as 2012 he could still not get a CC from AMEX

Message 6 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Last I knew the Amex blacklist to AU user cards also had gone away.

I had problems way back in 2006 that Amex canceled my cards as AU after a couple years when they changed policy but then just a year or so later was able to add back on without issue.

Business was never effected btw.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Last I knew the Amex blacklist to AU user cards also had gone away.

I had problems way back in 2006 that Amex canceled my cards as AU after a couple years when they changed policy but then just a year or so later was able to add back on without issue.

Business was never effected btw.

The blacklist for AUs still exists for personal cards.  Happens all the time that they are denied for card or card canceled after the fact if you don’t provide a SSN 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember reading over that they still require DOB & SSN upon activating the card. Even for a business. Though I didn't even add him so I am not sure if that's just there. 

Thank you for everyone replies. Really appreciate it! 

Message 9 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Did you try?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.