cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of getting business credit with a nontraditional business?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances of getting business credit with a nontraditional business?

I'll be in the garden until the judgement falls off EQ and EX in April AND I buy a house. I'm spending the time doing research on what I want to app for next so I’m informed when the time comes.

I was going to go for the BCP, but found out my main grocery store wouldn't count with AMEX.  I came across the business credit forum and remembered I have a business! I've paid taxes based on my royalties for nearly 15 years. My CPA writes off my office space and supplies, computer, and portions of my utility bills also any travel related to research.  I pay an editor, and write that off because, well…I’m a storyteller not an editor.

So here's my question. I don't have or need a "business name" as my 1099's all go to my name. Does anyone think I'll have a problem convincing them I need business credit or should I stick with personal cards?  I'd like to get a business card that would allow me to save on office supplies/equipment, restaurants and gas.   It would also be helpful to save 5 % on utilities, cable and cell.

I was thinking the Chase Ink Cash would be right up my alley. By the time I’m ready to apply for a new card I’ll have had my newest cards, the CSP and Freedom, for a year. 

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of getting business credit with a nontraditional business?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be in the garden until the judgement falls off EQ and EX in April AND I buy a house. I'm spending the time doing research on what I want to app for next so I’m informed when the time comes.

I was going to go for the BCP, but found out my main grocery store wouldn't count with AMEX.  I came across the business credit forum and remembered I have a business! I've paid taxes based on my royalties for nearly 15 years. My CPA writes off my office space and supplies, computer, and portions of my utility bills also any travel related to research.  I pay an editor, and write that off because, well…I’m a storyteller not an editor.

So here's my question. I don't have or need a "business name" as my 1099's all go to my name. Does anyone think I'll have a problem convincing them I need business credit or should I stick with personal cards?  I'd like to get a business card that would allow me to save on office supplies/equipment, restaurants and gas.   It would also be helpful to save 5 % on utilities, cable and cell.

I was thinking the Chase Ink Cash would be right up my alley. By the time I’m ready to apply for a new card I’ll have had my newest cards, the CSP and Freedom, for a year. 

Your business would fall into acceptable businesses for business cards thru creditors like Chase or Amex.  They really aren't that picky

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your business would fall into acceptable businesses for business cards thru creditors like Chase or Amex.  They really aren't that picky

That's funny. They sure are when it comes to individual credit. Thanks Irish.

Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

But all these cards you mention require PG which means they will take an INQ on your credit and if you are gardening to buy a house, you would need to wait to apply until after you buy a house.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

But all these cards you mention require PG which means they will take an INQ on your credit and if you are gardening to buy a house, you would need to wait to apply until after you buy a house.

Oh yes, I know. I'm actually just researching my next step. I'm not applying for a thing until I get the judgement off the last two reports. Unfortunately,  the judgement is keeping my middle score borderline for the best rates even with 4 % utilization and only one card reporting a balance. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's funny. They sure are when it comes to individual credit. Thanks Irish.

They are picky about credit qualifications. What he means is they aren't that picky about the structure or nature of the business.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, okay gotcha.  I'm in no rush,  so I'll make sure my credit is pristine before I apply.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.