Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Chapter 7 Discharged 6 Years Ago...Now $1M/Year Business Owner? Swimming with Loan Sharks

For reasons I'm sure no one is interested in, I filed for ch.7 bankruptcy at the age of 23 in 2011. It was discharged and since then I started my own business. It's an extremely cash intensive business and regardless of how much I deposit per month, the only kinds of loans my business seems to qualify for are the ones that might have me "swimming with the fishes" because "Tito" wants his money. Example: "borrow $100,000 and pay back $140,000, automatic withdrawals from your account for 100 business days". That's over $30,000 a month for 4.5 months. It's gonna cost me $40,000 to borrow $100,000 for four months? Why not just UCC my left kidney as collateral? Queue "The Godfather" theme song. I understand that ch.7 discharges typically take 10 years to fall off but if I could just get another chance to prove myself, I can grow this business so much greater, pay so much more tax, be so much more valuable to this economy. I didn't roll over and get a job serving tables wondering if my $500 Macy's Card would rebuild my credit. I changed my life. Have me again America, I'm begging you. There must be some individuals here that had success removing their discharge before a decade was up.

I do have a pending SBA loan application that I'm waiting to hear back from. If it does not go through, would someone explain to me the math of these types of working capital loans? They obviously exist and are still in business because people do take them and do pay back right? How are these borrowers making it happen? If my monthly deposits are $100K, but my expenditures are $90K, that only leaves me with $10K. "Tito" will take $30K. That leaves me negative -$20K. By the fourth month I'd be overdrawn or delinquent whether it be with "Tito" or otherwise. I feel like I'm missing something here, that it is possible and I'm not gasping what "working capital" really means. Or maybe my instincts are right and Tito is out to shut down businesses nationwide. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated. 

Epic Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 7 Discharged 6 Years Ago...Now $1M/Year Business Owner? Swimming with Loan Sharks

6 years is a long time ago on credit... what have you done to rebuild your personal credit?

After 5 years you usually have access to Amex again, Chase, well really everyone if you have built your credit since the BK

0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 7 Discharged 6 Years Ago...Now $1M/Year Business Owner? Swimming with Loan Sharks

I have an Amex Platinum (business) that doesn't report to personal credit, and on personal I've got 2 credit cards, one with a $7200 limit and the other with a $4800 limit. I have a $70,000 vehicle purchase that I've paid down to $39,000 as well for auto loan. I had a foreclosure with my bankruptcy and do not currently have a mortgage. I'm renting. Because the business is so cash intensive I haven't been able to keep a zero balance on my personal credit cards, they will most likely not give me an increase. Chase is actually who my foreclosure was through in my chapter 7 and even though I bank with them, they have turned me down for credit cards numerous times.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.