Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Ink and Marriott Business Double App - A Cautionary Tale

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Ink and Marriott Business Double App - A Cautionary Tale

I saw the post for the 100K on the Chase Marriott Business Card and decided to go for it.  I have been quiet since last summer, so I decided to see what would happen if I did a double app with the Chase Ink +.  I do have a legit business and have a reason for wanting both (besides the sign-up bonuses).   I stay at primarily Marriott hotels and wanted the Ink for everyday business expenses and other travel.  

So I gave it a shot on the same day (Friday night) to see if there would be only 1 hard pull.  Things started out pretty standard.  Both apps said needs further review.  Called status line, both apps said under review, expect to hear in 2 weeks.  Credit monitoring showed 1 pull on EXP and 1 on EQ.  Exactly what I expected - that's what they did for my Chase Sapphire Preferred.  Called status line on Sat and Sun, no e-mail and no change in the status line.  I was following someone else post who applied for the Marriott card on Sat.  He had similar results until Mon morning.  He called status line and was approved.  I called again, no change.  Credit monitoring then pops up a pull on TU.  This afternoon I get a secure message on my Chase mortgage account - what the???  Says sorry, we could not approve your request.  However, it doesn't say whether it was the Ink or the Marriott.  I call the status line and now it says 2 weeks for one and 7-10 days for the other.  

Decided it was time to call recon.  I get a great rep on the phone and he says he sees the app pending for the Ink card and can help me move through the process.  OK, sounds good, right - wrong.  A few questions about the business, no big deal, filed that return in March and mine in April, so I have the numbers and a good idea what projections are for this year.  That all goes well.  Then it gets weird - he asks me about a charge off from Washington Mutual from 1985.  Yes, I said 1985!!!!!   I was in college (yes, I'm that old).  I honestly don't even remember this, but I may have run up a bill in college on a card and then had it charged off pretty quick.  He tells me they have the info because Wash Mu merged with Chase and they carried over all of their records.  1985?????  I can't even see that on my credit report.  Ultimately, he says he will recommend approval, but I need to verify the business by sending an SS-4.  Choices are Fax, snail mail or bring into a branch and see if a personal banker can scan and send through back door to get approval faster.  He tells me if I fax, they will see it in 2 weeks.  If I mail, 3 to 4 weeks.  Can't believe I can e-mail, or attach to my chase secure message.  

So the upshot of all this is do not apply for 2 business cards at once, and because of all of the consolidation in the financial sector, you can forget things disappearing after 7 years.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Ink and Marriott Business Double App - A Cautionary Tale

Wow that's crazy that they brought something up from way back in 1985 - geez Smiley Frustrated I'm also surprised that they're asking for a copy your SS-4. I now see why people say don't call Chase, just wait it out. Good luck though!

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear.  Sounds like they hold grudges for a very long time!  I can't imagine that they would hold onto something like that?  Good new is it won't show up on your CA's.  I wouldn't say it was the 2 apps.  Just something they found,  

Message 3 of 24
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Dang that's crazy Umbra. But theoretically, you should be approved after the SS4?

You said he saw the pending app for ink, what happened to the marriott app?
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
Dang that's crazy Umbra. But theoretically, you should be approved after the SS4?

You said he saw the pending app for ink, what happened to the marriott app?

Fingers crossed the SS-4 will do the trick.  Figure calling on the Ink app was a mistake, so I'm going to wait it out on the Marriott card.

Message 5 of 24
jsucool76
Super Contributor

It may require more work, but as long as you have all the info, and are prepared (Which it sounds like you were/are) you should be fine.

Waiting a couple days can't hurt, you're clearly more patient than me. I was climbing the walls. Smiley Tongue Now I'm just hoping to get marriott soon so I can start spending.
Message 6 of 24
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

So crazy! 1985? Omg! Smiley Surprised

Best wishes on the rest of the process! 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 7 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear. Chase has a memory like an elephant. I got grilled about a Bank1 c/o for a few hundred bucks from 1998. But 1985, wow I think you take the cake.
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read your first post this morning, but reading the thread to date now it just registered. 1985! I'm betting a good percentage of the board was not dealing with credit then and some were not alive. I was both. I don't know whether it's good or bad that I don't remember who was IIB for me in 1990-ish. 

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I read your first post this morning, but reading the thread to date now it just registered. 1985! I'm betting a good percentage of the board was not dealing with credit then and some were not alive. I was both. I don't know whether it's good or bad that I don't remember who was IIB for me in 1990-ish. 

Yes, its a bit weird talking about my credit ups and downs since the 80's .  It definitely gives perspective.  Anyway, I faxed the SS-4 in, we'll see.......

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.