Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Club Carlson Business

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Club Carlson Business

I succumbed to the call of the "free nights" siren and applied for the Club Carlson Business card. Yes, I know most of their US properties are sub par compared to Hyatt/Hilton/SPG/Marriott etc. but they have some nice properties in Europe among other places and I will be happy to take a couple of free nights while on vacation next year using the second night free with point usage. The DW decided we were going to spend a good amount of our point stash on taking her parents to Ireland but that's another issue/story <mumbles under breath>.

Anyhow I did my research and saw that US Bank is kind of jittery with churners and point collectors. I am INQ heavy on EX (14 back to 6/2012), median on EX (9 back to 6/2012) but very thin on TU (4 back to 6/2012 - 2 last year in June and 2 this year in March). I read they play Russian roulette with credit bureaus for HP on the card so I had a 1 in 3 chance to hit TU. I completed the application and received the 7-10 day message. Never applied with them but understand it's pretty common. I just checked and it seems they pulled TU so I might be in good shape. 

Don't really need another business line but it's a great redemption offer and new business credit does not harm my personal reports except for the initial INQ. I will give them a day or so to make a move then call the recon line to offer more information if needed. Is the best line 800-947-1444 or does anyone have another recon number? 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Club Carlson Business

@scenery_guy wrote:

I succumbed to the call of the "free nights" siren and applied for the Club Carlson Business card. Yes, I know most of their US properties are sub par compared to Hyatt/Hilton/SPG/Marriott etc. but they have some nice properties in Europe among other places and I will be happy to take a couple of free nights while on vacation next year using the second night free with point usage. The DW decided we were going to spend a good amount of our point stash on taking her parents to Ireland but that's another issue/story <mumbles under breath>.

Anyhow I did my research and saw that US Bank is kind of jittery with churners and point collectors. I am INQ heavy on EX (14 back to 6/2012), median on EX (9 back to 6/2012) but very thin on TU (4 back to 6/2012 - 2 last year in June and 2 this year in March). I read they play Russian roulette with credit bureaus for HP on the card so I had a 1 in 3 chance to hit TU. I completed the application and received the 7-10 day message. Never applied with them but understand it's pretty common. I just checked and it seems they pulled TU so I might be in good shape. 

Don't really need another business line but it's a great redemption offer and new business credit does not harm my personal reports except for the initial INQ. I will give them a day or so to make a move then call the recon line to offer more information if needed. Is the best line 800-947-1444 or does anyone have another recon number? 

Good luck fingers crossed 

Think you will be fine Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

No need to call in for status. I got a denial email a few minutes ago. Info coming via mail 7-10 days so perhaps I can attempt a recon with the info in hand. I'm guessing that they also pulled ARS or IDA and was able to see all of my apps thru either or both of those organizations even though my TU was pretty nice looking. 

I guess I am going to have to deal with ARS and IDA by sending in a freeze request. I'm not thrilled that VIsa™ owns a company that compiles all this info and shares it without having to play by the rules established for the big three. Apparently INQ don't drop off in 12/24 months with ARS or IDA. They call it a risk assessment company to subvert the rules. 

Mistake on my part was not freezing those suckers well before applying. I'll try recon and if that fails so be it. I can always try again in 6 months if this still suits my fancy. 

Message 3 of 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

No need to call in for status. I got a denial email a few minutes ago. Info coming via mail 7-10 days so perhaps I can attempt a recon with the info in hand. I'm guessing that they also pulled ARS or IDA and was able to see all of my apps thru either or both of those organizations even though my TU was pretty nice looking. 

I guess I am going to have to deal with ARS and IDA by sending in a freeze request. I'm not thrilled that VIsa™ owns a company that compiles all this info and shares it without having to play by the rules established for the big three. Apparently INQ don't drop off in 12/24 months with ARS or IDA. They call it a risk assessment company to subvert the rules. 

Mistake on my part was not freezing those suckers well before applying. I'll try recon and if that fails so be it. I can always try again in 6 months if this still suits my fancy. 

That's a bummer 

Wishing you the best

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Thanks for the support myjourney. I just finished reading an 88 page thread at FlyerTalk on the card. Wow, aside from being 88 pages long (I guess we are not long winded here at MyFico) it's full of some good approval and recon info. 

I learned quite a bit. Confirmed I should have froze ARS and IDA as many people seemed to have quick approvals if those were frozen. Many people who applied for the business offer got the same response as me, "we were unable to approve your application based on the information you provided, you will receive additional information on your application request via US Mail in 7-10 days". Almost every person who posted about that non instant approval got a letter in a week that had instructions to call in to provide more information in 10 days or the application would be cancelled. Many of the calls they just confirmed info on the application like address, DOB and SSN. Some just called and were told thanks, we will resubmit for underwriting to review. Several got the card after that (and after no contact and 20+ days wait), several got a different denial letter a week after the call then received the T&C and the card in the mail. Several posters got the decline email, info call request letter and eventually another decline letter. They called in for a recon and pressed a bit only to be told no again - and then they received the card in the mail! 

The oddest thing is the postings about how tough the business card account is to pay online. Seems like several layers of hoops to clear to make it happen. I will never understand why some banks make it tough to pay a bill. Shut up and take my money!

Looks like I just stand by and wait for the paper in the mail and go from there. All I can really say is this bank makes me Barclays is a top notch bank (with sarcasm implied). If it were not for the bonuses I would have skipped this card and the US Air card as the hassle factor with both banks makes me worship both Chase and AMEX. And Citi, but not so much Citi on the same level as the first two. And sorta BofA but not really. 

Message 5 of 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

Thanks for the support myjourney. I just finished reading an 88 page thread at FlyerTalk on the card. Wow, aside from being 88 pages long (I guess we are not long winded here at MyFico) it's full of some good approval and recon info. 

I learned quite a bit. Confirmed I should have froze ARS and IDA as many people seemed to have quick approvals if those were frozen. Many people who applied for the business offer got the same response as me, "we were unable to approve your application based on the information you provided, you will receive additional information on your application request via US Mail in 7-10 days". Almost every person who posted about that non instant approval got a letter in a week that had instructions to call in to provide more information in 10 days or the application would be cancelled. Many of the calls they just confirmed info on the application like address, DOB and SSN. Some just called and were told thanks, we will resubmit for underwriting to review. Several got the card after that (and after no contact and 20+ days wait), several got a different denial letter a week after the call then received the T&C and the card in the mail. Several posters got the decline email, info call request letter and eventually another decline letter. They called in for a recon and pressed a bit only to be told no again - and then they received the card in the mail! 

The oddest thing is the postings about how tough the business card account is to pay online. Seems like several layers of hoops to clear to make it happen. I will never understand why some banks make it tough to pay a bill. Shut up and take my money!

Looks like I just stand by and wait for the paper in the mail and go from there. All I can really say is this bank makes me Barclays is a top notch bank (with sarcasm implied). If it were not for the bonuses I would have skipped this card and the US Air card as the hassle factor with both banks makes me worship both Chase and AMEX. And Citi, but not so much Citi on the same level as the first two. And sorta BofA but not really. 

Wow 88 pages I'm off to read it now...

Seems to be a lot of hoop jumping but based on what you found out I still think you will be ok in that case then.

As for the highlight section (insert laugh here) 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I was getting bored, called the automated line 800-947-1444 to check status. Figured what the heck no harm in checking while waiting for the paper decline. Seems I am approved and will receive the T&C and card in 10 business days. I'm not going to get too excited as I know things will change multiple times with this bank. I'll update status when I get plastic in hand. Bet the limit is either stupid low or stupid high. Don't really care either way. 

So far I'm 3 for 3 in this unintended and unplanned application cycle. Had to jump on Chase Ink Plus to get the 60K bonus. Got wild a few days later and reapplied for the Citi AA with 40K mile bonus (denied due to 3 applications in less than 60 days last cycle) and now it looks like I can get some Club Carlson love points. 

Message 7 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

Nice!

I've tried US Bank and find them a pretty good value, if you can accept yesterday's technology.  I was thinking of app'ing for this too.  I had no idea they checked more than just the 3 CRAs.

Nice app spree.  This card is a great deal at 85K + 40K per year, not to mention the free nights.

Message 8 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Nice!

I've tried US Bank and find them a pretty good value, if you can accept yesterday's technology.  I was thinking of app'ing for this too.  I had no idea they checked more than just the 3 CRAs.

Nice app spree.  This card is a great deal at 85K + 40K per year, not to mention the free nights.

Thanks!

So I'll bite. How bad is the technology? I'm spoiled with Chase and AMEX, accustomed to BofA and can tolerate Citi. Barclays is dead to me once AA and US Air merges. I'm hoping I don't need to telegraph in payment confirmation...

I think this will be a keeper based on the 40K yearly bonus and free nights with point redemption (kind of like the Priority Club free night yearly bonus). The DW is applying for the personal version in a couple of weeks. 

Message 9 of 33
Open123
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

So I'll bite. How bad is the technology? I'm spoiled with Chase and AMEX, accustomed to BofA and can tolerate Citi. 

Compared to Chase and Amex?  

Whoa, we're talking Win 3.1 in a dos environment.  The website just isn't as intuitive as either Amex or Chase; and, I can't even imagine how how to track expenses. On my Flexperks, when you click "transactions," it isn't seperated by month, but all charges to date on a single screen.  It's really hard to describe.  LOL  You've just got to see it.

Also, unless you get the mobile app, there's no pending transactions.  However, everything works, but don't expect anything like jot or Amex tracking. Given how good the Carlson deal is right now, it's worth it though!

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.