Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied AmEx Green Corporate Card - Then Card Arrived

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Denied AmEx Green Corporate Card - Then Card Arrived

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the response, I am assuming my company had something to do with the card being issued.....it is interesting however that it explicitly states in the company policy handbook as well as the AmEx paperwork that I am ultimatley responsible for the charges on the card being paid - if I go past 60 days without paying the charges the company will take the money directly out of my paycheck to pay the bill.

Yes, from the T&Cs I've read, for Amex Corp or Business cards, the individual is responsible for the charges if the Corp/Company defaults.  In the unlikely event your Company doesn't pay, Amex may go after you personally for the debt.

Message 11 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the response, I am assuming my company had something to do with the card being issued.....it is interesting however that it explicitly states in the company policy handbook as well as the AmEx paperwork that I am ultimatley responsible for the charges on the card being paid - if I go past 60 days without paying the charges the company will take the money directly out of my paycheck to pay the bill.

Obviously not a situation that will happen because all I use this card for are company expenses that are reimbursed and then I turn around and pay the bill.....the responsibility is still on me once I get the reimbursement to pay the bill however.

Sure, they have to  make it clear to you that when you are using the card for a transaction, you must follow through to pay the statement. The employer has still, in a sense, co-signed  for the card, but has a way to get funds back from the employee if the employee doesn't pay. And it's a little more direct relationship, between employer and employee, to ensure that the AMEX bill does get paid in these cases Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 12 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for our corporate amex green card and was sent a denial letter and told my company would recieve one as well but wouldnt mention the reasons for the denial in the letter (BK in Oct 2014 - AMEX Included) - Then the lady who handles our AmEx corporate stuff came to my desk last week with an envelope from AmEx and said here is your card, explained how it ties in with Concur, etc etc......I was stunned.  Almost speechless.....has anyone ever had that happen?  I checked it on the way home at the gas station and sure enough it worked.  I cannot believe I have an AMEX with my name on it after BK in October.  Any other similar stories?

Kind of crazy there, but grats on getting the card Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

If you are denied for a corporate card you company Amex administrator can guaranty the card in your behalf. The main reason someone is declined is a prior unpaid balance with Amex.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work for a huge, multi-national consulting/accounting firm. They had the application for the "Personal Liablity" Corporate Amex as a required part of the onboarding process, so despite having a charge-off with Amex from 8 years ago, I went ahead and applied becuase I thought it was necessary (I made some stupid decisions my freshman year of college, but working on my scores and they are now in the low-mid 600s). I received a denial letter from Amex citing a "Late Payment" as the reason for the denial - no hard pull on any of my reports. I reached out to our Program Administrator to see if they could work some sort of magic to get me a card because I travel a fair amount and the corporate Amex feeds directly in to our expense management system. She said that they do not guarantee cards for employees at this time (leading me to believe that they did at one point) and that if I couldn't rectify the issue with AMEX, that I would need to use my personal card. That's fine by me, since I earn cash back, but it is really annoying to have to manually create expense reports now. Anyway, just wanted to provide an example of a company that wouldn't guarantee the card for employees for the forum! 

Message 15 of 16
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I work for a huge, multi-national consulting/accounting firm. They had the application for the "Personal Liablity" Corporate Amex as a required part of the onboarding process, so despite having a charge-off with Amex from 8 years ago, I went ahead and applied becuase I thought it was necessary (I made some stupid decisions my freshman year of college, but working on my scores and they are now in the low-mid 600s). I received a denial letter from Amex citing a "Late Payment" as the reason for the denial - no hard pull on any of my reports. I reached out to our Program Administrator to see if they could work some sort of magic to get me a card because I travel a fair amount and the corporate Amex feeds directly in to our expense management system. She said that they do not guarantee cards for employees at this time (leading me to believe that they did at one point) and that if I couldn't rectify the issue with AMEX, that I would need to use my personal card. That's fine by me, since I earn cash back, but it is really annoying to have to manually create expense reports now. Anyway, just wanted to provide an example of a company that wouldn't guarantee the card for employees for the forum! 

Sorry to hear that, but it is up to the company if they want to or not. Generally, for any company I would always suggest to them to secured the card(s) for the employees or use a company that dont require that the employees are personality liable for the company debt. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.