Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for AMEX SimplyCash

tag
mjban
Valued Member

Denied for AMEX SimplyCash

So... Decided to apply for this card, mostly because of the cash back and sing up bonus. But received the message saying that my app needed further review, 5 minutes later I checked the online application status website and it showed declined Smiley Sad (that was around 11pm). Today I called the new applications department and the CSR confirmed that the application was declined, I tried to recon but the lady said to wait until I recevied the letter.

I've been with Amex since 2012, started with Amex Gold then cancelled in 2013, BUT since 2013 I have the BCP with 20k limit. I'm not worry about a HP since I know the declined was supposed to be a SP, but a really wanted this card!! 

Any suggestions? I'll probably call later or when the letter arrives. I'm not sure why the denial, but I recently applied for Citi Prestige (11k) and Chase Ink (18.5k), both approved, applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and was denied due to too many accounts in the past 2 years! (seems to be a new Chase policy). 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied for AMEX SimplyCash

Wow. Very Strange. sorry to hear that. You already have a 20k BCP, and they still denied.Could it be the recent Citi and Ink accounts?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's possible it's an exposure issue. How old is the $20K line on the BCP?

Message 3 of 9
mjban
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I received this CLI about 2 months ago. Would this be the problem? I went from 7k to 20k. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mjban wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I received this CLI about 2 months ago. Would this be the problem? I went from 7k to 20k. 

It could be, but I'm just guessing. If I could actually figure out the processes these credit card companies use in their decision making I could probably become really rich.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry to hear that!

Message 6 of 9
dbatl14
Contributor

I did the same thing. I actually got a personal Everday CC about 2+ month ago and a PRG charge about 3 weeks. I read that it is best to apply for cards more recent so they pull the same report instead of the new and since I wasn't applying for the same type of product I figured it would be okay.

I applied and I got the "Call Us Message" when I called New Accounts at first she said she needed to make sure I was the person and not someone else going on an app spree and that was it. After I guess she entered data, she came back and said unfortunately we aren't able to provide with an approval today and for me to wait for the confidential letter explaining why.

So I am assuming that I was declined because I received two cards in a short period of time? I read in other threads that you should be able to apply for different products. But then I also got a CLI on my Everyday not too long ago. So was I too greedy? I just wanted a good Business Card with those rewards since I use it away from my personal. I do have a Spark from Cap 1 but the CL is not that good and I received a small CLI from them not too long ago and won't be eligle another few monts.

When a New Account rep tells you that you are declined is that the same as the Recon line or should I just leave it alone and wait?

My Wallet: Amex Everyday: $7000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | AMEX Business Reward: NPSL | Amex Hilton Aspire: $9300 | Amex Delta Gold: $15000 | Amex Business Plat: NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards: $22000 | Travel Rewards: $15000 | NASA FCU Advantage: $17,500 | DCU Platinum: $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards: $3500 | Capital One QS: $8500 | Capital One Platinum: $2250 | Capital One Spark: $7500 | Fidelity Bank: $3400 | Nordstrom: $16500 | Macys: $10000 | Walmart: $3300 | Amazon: $6000 | Target: $14500 | | Chevron/Texaco: $3000 | Discover IT: $4700 | Apple Card: $2450 | Citi Double Cash: $4000
Message 7 of 9
Ron1
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear!!! How's your business credit? Amex also pulled EQ biz report.

Ron.
Message 8 of 9
dbatl14
Contributor

It's average. Doesn't have a super long history yet. I have the Spark Business. I wasn't sure if me having received 2 Amex card in 2 months and the most recent as 3 - 4 weeks flagged it. Since the Rep told me that I had to call in to verify that it is me and not someone else trying app a lot under fraud.

I guess I will have to see what the letter will say when I get it. I try again after 6 months or so.

My Wallet: Amex Everyday: $7000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | AMEX Business Reward: NPSL | Amex Hilton Aspire: $9300 | Amex Delta Gold: $15000 | Amex Business Plat: NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards: $22000 | Travel Rewards: $15000 | NASA FCU Advantage: $17,500 | DCU Platinum: $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards: $3500 | Capital One QS: $8500 | Capital One Platinum: $2250 | Capital One Spark: $7500 | Fidelity Bank: $3400 | Nordstrom: $16500 | Macys: $10000 | Walmart: $3300 | Amazon: $6000 | Target: $14500 | | Chevron/Texaco: $3000 | Discover IT: $4700 | Apple Card: $2450 | Citi Double Cash: $4000
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.