cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I bother trying for a corporate Amex?

tag
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: Do I bother trying for a corporate Amex?

@Anonymous wrote:

UncleB: Thanks for sharing your experiences! It gives me hope that maybe one day I'll get bank in.

peaceonearth: It's a corporate card and we have a lot of corporate cards within my company. Anyone who travels at least once per year is eligible for a corporate card, My company is one of the largest partners with Amex and they give us a lot revenue for our partnership so hopefully that will help.

You will be OK.

Good luck to you.

Message 11 of 25
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll try to make this brief but here we go. I recently took a new position with the company where I've worked for the past 8 years. My company is a major partner with Amex and we earn a great deal of revenue through our partnership with Amex and I now have the option to get a corporate card. I discharged an Amex in 2009 through bk and am wondering if I should even try for the card or just use my personal card for expenses? Also if for some reason I app for the card and am denied is there any risk of running into problems with my employer? I was also wondering if applying for a corporate Amex is a HP on my credit report and if it is improved any chance it would he get a personal card after a while? Thanks for the help!

It depends on the Corporate card program your employer has with Amex.

I would talk to your Amex Card Administrator and ask them what is the process for getting the card.

Keep us posted

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 12 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I've seen many in upper management who have felt Employees with "credit issues" are somehow less responsible or have less integrity.

This comment is odd. "Credit issues"  almost always means the above.

At a minimum, it means that person is much more likely to default then people without credit issues.  Being denied credit should be taken personally, because it is a direct reflection of how responsible you are......and your track record with credit/money.

Now there is always exceptions to the rule for certain situations. But look at it from a lenders perspective, who would you rather lend money to?

In general, I agree.

If I my purpose, as is the case with any CC Issuer, is to streamline approvals and declines based on the "law of large numbers," I will accept, that in general, anyone with "credit issues" at a certain point should automatically be rejected.  This removes subjective analysis and underwriting bias.

On the other hand, if I were interviewing or considering a person to hire or do a job for me, I'd want to know the reasons for these "credit issues."  It could be unavoidable medical debts?  Failed business?  ID theft?  Or, just flat out being irresponsible.  Regardless, if possible (which I understand it isn't for a CC company), I prefer to judge each person on his/her respective merits and circumstances.  While I may find the person "less responsible," it isn't going to based soley on "credit issues" in a some CRAs that may or may not even be accurate or up to date.

All things equal, I will never make a snap judgement of a person's integrity based purely on a credit report.  I really don't care where a man's been (unless it's something horrific), just where he's headed.  Just my views, of course.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an update. After a lengthy waiting period while my manager sent approval for me to apply for the card to my companies program administrator I'm happy to report my card for the corporate card was approved! Now I just have to wait a few months and see if having the corporate card will help me get approved for a personal card or not.

Message 14 of 25
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's an update. After a lengthy waiting period while my manager sent approval for me to apply for the card to my companies program administrator I'm happy to report my card for the corporate card was approved! Now I just have to wait a few months and see if having the corporate card will help me get approved for a personal card or not.

Congratulations.

I knew you will get this Corporate card through the Corporation you work for with no problem however, this Corporate Card will NOT help you getting approved for the personal card, the only thing that will help getting approved is your income and credit profile.

Best of luck

Message 15 of 25
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll try to make this brief but here we go. I recently took a new position with the company where I've worked for the past 8 years. My company is a major partner with Amex and we earn a great deal of revenue through our partnership with Amex and I now have the option to get a corporate card. I discharged an Amex in 2009 through bk and am wondering if I should even try for the card or just use my personal card for expenses? Also if for some reason I app for the card and am denied is there any risk of running into problems with my employer? I was also wondering if applying for a corporate Amex is a HP on my credit report and if it is improved any chance it would he get a personal card after a while? Thanks for the help!

Amex has a long memory, even longer than the seven to ten years that the BK can remain on the credit report. You could ask Amex, but don't be surprised if an application is denied. 

Personally, I have an option to get a "corporate" charge card, but the corporate card doesn't earn ME any rewards, so I keep on using my personal cards for that job, and my business cards for business expenses.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 16 of 25
ReturnOfTheCredi
Contributor

@peaceonearth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this an American Express Business or Corporate?

If it's a Business yes, you may have problems.

If it's a Corporate card, you will get the card no matter how bad your credit file and past history with AMEX.

The AMEX Corporate is 100% approved based on your company's credit profile and Revenue (minimum revenue $4,000.000.00).

If it is a Corporate you will not be the applicant in lieu, your Company is the applicant therefore; the company needs to apply for the card not you and of course your Company may chose to get you a card under your name.

Peaceonearth, this is some interesting info you give.  I've been scouring all of the info I could find on this topic for a week or so now and this is the first time I've seen anyone say what you've said.  This is a little odd.  

I had an AMEX that was discharged in a BK7 to the tune of $4,900 just over three years ago.  I am now working with a company where they would like for me to have a corporate AMEX.  I can tell you this is a multi-billion dollar company and it is most definitely a "coporate" card.  Yet, the administrator issued me an application for the card and it clearly states on the application (and was confirmed when I called AMEX about it) that the card holder, not the business, is liable for all charges made.  It also requires my social security number.  That said, I know that my company actually gets and pays the bill directly (we simply have to reconcile receipts each month). 

So how does this work?  Will I be issued the card or not?  I've confirmed myself to be on their blacklist by applying for and getting the immediate decline on a personal card with the message that it was due to the fact that "AMEX closed your previous account".  I would be curious to know what I'm looking at here since you seem to be pretty sure of what you've said.

Message 17 of 25
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@S1CEM wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this an American Express Business or Corporate?

If it's a Business yes, you may have problems.

If it's a Corporate card, you will get the card no matter how bad your credit file and past history with AMEX.

The AMEX Corporate is 100% approved based on your company's credit profile and Revenue (minimum revenue $4,000.000.00).

If it is a Corporate you will not be the applicant in lieu, your Company is the applicant therefore; the company needs to apply for the card not you and of course your Company may chose to get you a card under your name.

Peaceonearth, this is some interesting info you give.  I've been scouring all of the info I could find on this topic for a week or so now and this is the first time I've seen anyone say what you've said.  This is a little odd.  

I had an AMEX that was discharged in a BK7 to the tune of $4,900 just over three years ago.  I am now working with a company where they would like for me to have a corporate AMEX.  I can tell you this is a multi-billion dollar company and it is most definitely a "coporate" card.  Yet, the administrator issued me an application for the card and it clearly states on the application (and was confirmed when I called AMEX about it) that the card holder, not the business, is liable for all charges made.  It also requires my social security number.  That said, I know that my company actually gets and pays the bill directly (we simply have to reconcile receipts each month). 

So how does this work?  Will I be issued the card or not?  I've confirmed myself to be on their blacklist by applying for and getting the immediate decline on a personal card with the message that it was due to the fact that "AMEX closed your previous account".  I would be curious to know what I'm looking at here since you seem to be pretty sure of what you've said.

I am not AMEX and I don't know if you can get the card or not. I hope that you do get the card if that was up to me.

What I know is: AMEX corporate card or so called commercial account program approval, is based on the company's revenue and credit profile there's no place for social security number on the application.

I am not sure if the SSN is required to add an employee but, the administrator can call AMEX in case the employee did not get approved! I've seen this happened.

You may be responsible, if the administrator created the account as for you to receive the card statement for your sole charges.

Best of luck to you.

Message 18 of 25
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short...

If you apply for an Amex Corporate Card they will pull a SP, not HP. If you are denied for any reason your Companies Amex Card Administrator can override the decision by providing a company guarantee.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Several years ago when my credit was absolutely shot (I was in the low-mid 500s with lots of baddies on my reports), I worked for one of the big 4 consulting firms, and was required to have an AMEX corporate card. I applied and was approved with no problems, don't even recall seeing any pulls on my credit reports for it.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.