cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I qualify for a Chase Ink business card?

tag
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Do I qualify for a Chase Ink business card?

Hello, I never really thought about having a business CC as I don't have a business. It just occured to me, maybe my type of work may qualify? But before I call up Chase to see if I qualify i'll ask you guys first.

I travel a lot for work - flying, driving around, spending tons on gas, using my own cell phone - all which i pay out of my pocket from my personal credit cards. Then my company just sends me a stipend every month (on top of my paycheck) irregardless of what I spent. I also have a 1099 tax form for this type of work. So, is this a "business"? Can I get a Chase Ink card for this? I could gain a lot from the 2x on Gas and 5x on phone bill. Credit is perfect so i'd get approved for the credit portion, but not sure about the business portion. btw, I don't have an EIN or TIN, just my SSN. thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Do I qualify for a Chase Ink business card?

If you get a 1099 from the company then technically yes. Don't call them and ask them, just apply and no doubt you will need to call in for a business recon. Explain it to them like you did here and you should be fine (as long as you would qualify for most other Chase credit cards). Don't go big yet (Ink Plus or Bold). Go for the Cash or Classic as they are typically easier to qualify for and have most of the same perks (5% on phone and 2% on gas) and neither have an annual fee. You can always add another Ink card in 6-12 months. Yes, the Cash and Classic have lower bonuses but trust me - start slow, use the card and move up later. 

I got the Cash first with a low limit of $2K but got a CLI to $10K in 6 weeks. Went on to get the Bold after 6 months and recently got the Plus during small business week. Still have all 3 active. 

Good luck and keep us posted!

Message 2 of 4
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

If you get a 1099 from the company then technically yes. Don't call them and ask them, just apply and no doubt you will need to call in for a business recon. Explain it to them like you did here and you should be fine (as long as you would qualify for most other Chase credit cards). Don't go big yet (Ink Plus or Bold). Go for the Cash or Classic as they are typically easier to qualify for and have most of the same perks (5% on phone and 2% on gas) and neither have an annual fee. You can always add another Ink card in 6-12 months. Yes, the Cash and Classic have lower bonuses but trust me - start slow, use the card and move up later. 

I got the Cash first with a low limit of $2K but got a CLI to $10K in 6 weeks. Went on to get the Bold after 6 months and recently got the Plus during small business week. Still have all 3 active. 

Great, thanks! I was planning on getting the Bold/Plus first because of the bigger sign on bonus, 50K points I think, and it's free the first year. Then after a year, I downgrade to the Classic/Cash. Win win situation, right? I get the big sign up bonus and don't pay a cent for the AF. I already have the Sapphired Preferred, so I can transfer my Classic/Cash points to my CSP, right?

Was your CLI automatic or did you call in for it? (basically, hard or soft pull?). TIA

Message 3 of 4
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

@scenery_guy wrote:

Great, thanks! I was planning on getting the Bold/Plus first because of the bigger sign on bonus, 50K points I think, and it's free the first year. Then after a year, I downgrade to the Classic/Cash. Win win situation, right? I get the big sign up bonus and don't pay a cent for the AF. I already have the Sapphired Preferred, so I can transfer my Classic/Cash points to my CSP, right?

Was your CLI automatic or did you call in for it? (basically, hard or soft pull?). TIA

Warning - Chase has been a bit quirky with Ink card approvals lately. Some people with good scores and sold business with Chase have been denied the top tier cards. Who knows, YMMV.

Sure, downgrade is always possible but then you give up a 20K bonus points ($200 value at least) in lieu of a $95 fee. You can't PC the Bold as it's a charge card not a credit card. Perhaps you apply for the Plus, wait 11 months then apply for Cash or Classic and once you get it call to shift your credit line to the new card or split between new card and CSP (less the $500 they keep on the card) then close it to avoid the fee. 

Yes, transfers to CSP no problem. 

My CLI was initiated at my branch requested by my business banker (he made the call while I drank coffee and sat there). Must have been a SP or no pull as I never saw anything pop up on my monitoring. It's the only time I have asked for a CLI with Chase but it was my first legit card with them. Had a couple of old WaMu cards that I closed after getting the Ink. From that point on my approvals have been $10K to $20K. I'm no limit hog so those are plenty big for my usage. I kind of feel bad about putting $150 a month on a card with $15K limit. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.