Valued Contributor
j_casteel

Does having rental property count as business?

I would think it does and I'm the sole proprietor, right?

Just curious about the possibility of an Ink card in the future. Also, thinking about doing other side jobs as well since my full time job allows for so much time off.
| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $19.5k | NavChek $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA WMC $15k | Freedom $3k | Discover $4k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | Costco TE $9k | BoA Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:686 EX:709 TU:703
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Re: Does having rental property count as business?

I would say so 

You need credit for repairs, materials etc etc all business expenses 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Cap1 EO link below
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Capital+One+CEO+email+address+#seen
Last 5 apps 6/6/13
Valued Contributor
j_casteel

I was thinking it would be justifiable if asked. I may go for a business card sometime either later this year or next year.

Are approvals based off personal credit seeing how I would just enter my SSN for sole proprietor?
| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $19.5k | NavChek $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA WMC $15k | Freedom $3k | Discover $4k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | Costco TE $9k | BoA Alaska $5k |
across the board
Senior Contributor
Wanderer

The nice part about the Business Card is breaking out your expenses clearly from personal. Also, many cards do not report regularly to the credit bureaus. Love that feature.
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
user5387

j_casteel wrote:
I was thinking it would be justifiable if asked. I may go for a business card sometime either later this year or next year.

Are approvals based off personal credit seeing how I would just enter my SSN for sole proprietor?

I believe you can turn rental property into a business.

However, if you're going to get a business CC for this purpose, you may be asked for proof that the business actually exists.  I'd be prepared to produce various documents like business checking statements, tax returns, profit/loss statements, licenses, permits, state and local filings, etc.  Many of these things are required or make sense whether you're a sole proprietor, LLC, S corporation, or regular corporation.

Small business CCs are typically based on personal credit, whether you have EINs or just an SSN.  I have both an EIN for a specific business, and an "owner EIN" that is separate from any business, but I still am required to personally guarantee the credit for my Chase Ink and Citibusiness cards.

Valued Contributor
j_casteel

user5387 wrote:

j_casteel wrote:

I believe you can turn rental property into a business.

However, if you're going to get a business CC for this purpose, you may be asked for proof that the business actually exists.  I'd be prepared to produce various documents like business checking statements, tax returns, profit/loss statements, licenses, permits, state and local filings, etc.  Many of these things are required or make sense whether you're a sole proprietor, LLC, S corporation, or regular corporation.

Small business CCs are typically based on personal credit, whether you have EINs or just an SSN.  I have both an EIN for a specific business, and an "owner EIN" that is separate from any business, but I still am required to personally guarantee the credit for my Chase Ink and Citibusiness cards.

Thanks for the great info!

across the board
Regular Contributor
awp317

I would hope so. Rentals are more than 50% of my companies income lol

Amex Platinum NPSL (with option to carry) USAA World MasterCard 35K I Chase Sapphire Preferred 25k I Citi Prestige World E 25k I Barclays Arrival World E 25k I Southwest Chase 24K I PenFed Visa Sig 23k I Target Visa 12k I Chase Freedom 10,100 I Discover IT 10k I OCCU Beaver 7k I Citi ThankYou Premier 5k I Amex Hilton Honors surpass 2k I Sears MasterCard 9k I Lowes 20k I BestBuy 10k
Chase Jumbo Mortgage Approved@ 4.6% 3/10/14!!!
blackandgray

I applied for a business card with the intent of using my rental property as my "business". I researched before applying and even asked people's opinion on whether or not I would get accepted if I put down my property as a business. One person warned me that when you tell a lender that the business is a rental property, prepared to get grilled. Were they ever right! I was grilled to what seemed like no end, but I answered everything truthfully. In the end I got declined. And I had clean reports and a 760 score to boot!

Valued Contributor
j_casteel

Thanks
across the board

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+