Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FREEZING YOUR PERSONAL CREDIT FILE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FREEZING YOUR PERSONAL CREDIT FILE

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FREEZING YOU PERSONAL CREDIT FILE? DOES THAT STOP A COMPANY FROM PULLING A CERTAIN FILE AND THEY ARE FORCED TO PULL THE OTHER? PLEASE EXPLAIN.................................. THANKS!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FREEZING YOUR PERSONAL CREDIT FILE

@Anonymous wrote:

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FREEZING YOU PERSONAL CREDIT FILE? DOES THAT STOP A COMPANY FROM PULLING A CERTAIN FILE AND THEY ARE FORCED TO PULL THE OTHER? PLEASE EXPLAIN.................................. THANKS!

The freezing of one report to force a creditor to pull another is considered unethical and is verboten to be discussed on any forum of My Fico. Typically one would freeze their report if they have ID Theft issues or wish to prevent such issues.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

IT WAS JUST A QUESTION!!!! I SEE IT ALL OVER THE FORUM SO I ASKED................................................... THANK YOU!!!!

Message 3 of 10
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

IT WAS JUST A QUESTION!!!! I SEE IT ALL OVER THE FORUM SO I ASKED................................................... THANK YOU!!!!

Try not to use caps like that, but I was considering freezing my CR but at the same time concern about banks who may every so often do a SP (for some reason why i wouldnt know). 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Caps? for some reason they always seem to be on when I am typing but anyway I was trying to see if freezing your reports would help you if the company is force to pull the one with a higher score.... I guess not but on to building my brand!!

Message 5 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Freezing to force a company to pull a certain report is kinda taboo. Like if you froze a bureau and applied with a company such as Amex that only pulls Experian and Thats the frozen one they will give you either a denial and have you unfreeze and re apply or give them the pin. Freezing a report won't really force a company into pulling another bureau. The computer just pulls whomever.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can we PLEASE stop calling it unethical? It is a subjective term.

The fact is if anything it might make a creditor curious as to why you did such a thing. But never is it "unethical" as much as it is not in the best interests of FICO Corp, Which is largely why it is "Verboten" topic.

Best case they simply wont process the application. Worst case, they put you on their naughty list and watch you closely.

Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The fact is if anything it might make a creditor curious as to why you did such a thing. But never is it "unethical" as much as it is not in the best interests of FICO Corp, Which is largely why it is "Verboten" topic.

Best case they simply wont process the application. Worst case, they put you on their naughty list and watch you closely.

It's not subjective to the administrators of this site. They consider it unethical. Period.

And therefore my opinion about the subject, as well as the opinion of anyone else, doesn't matter.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not subjective to the administrators of this site. They consider it unethical. Period.

And therefore my opinion about the subject, as well as the opinion of anyone else, doesn't matter.

Perhaps. But the term "Unethical" really needs to stop getting thrown around willy nilly like so. If it is a forbidden topic from conversation then only that should be said without bringing personal sounding feelings into it..

I'm not disputing the terms of the topic restriction, just the language it is portrayed under.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ my point exactly!!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.