Forming a LLC just to get a business credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Forming a LLC just to get a business credit card

@sccredit wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, first post on this forum, but I thought I'd ask the experts. I filed a personal Chapter 7 bankruptcy in October of 2014 (discharged in February of this year). So far I've been able to get a Barclaycard, a credit card from my local credit union, a car loan, and several store cards to start rebuilding my credit. Before my bankruptcy, I had an American Express green card for 7 years. I love the perks, customer service, and use of American Express, but I've found that they probably won't approve me for another card until my bankruptcy falls off my credit report in about nine more years. I did NOT burn them in bankruptcy. I was thinking about forming a LLC in my homestate and applying for a business credit card through American Express once I get an EIN. Does this sound like a stupid idea? Any suggestions? I do sell a lot of electronics on Ebay (mostly mobile phones and computers I fix), and I do housecalls from time to time for repairs. I do have some de facto side business going on, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get this started. But I was interested in forming a LLC since the business credit would be seperate from my personal credit.

Dumb idea and tons of work just to get an Amex? I'm weird like that, but any ideas or if it's even plausible?

AMEX pulls personal credit for small business cards.  You would have to be a publicly traded company to get one relying only on the corporation's financials.

You can get a card 5 years post BK if you did not burn them.

Their Corp program does not require being a publicly traded company.   

Nope doesn't just need to be in business at least 2 years with positive income and some positive trade through business for example net30/60/90 account with other companies in good standing.. Also not even sure if it's worth it to do a llc just for that cost of it in California to do all paperwork to form a llc is about 1800 at least that's what my accountant charges me

Message 11 of 12
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Forming a LLC just to get a business credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, first post on this forum, but I thought I'd ask the experts. I filed a personal Chapter 7 bankruptcy in October of 2014 (discharged in February of this year). So far I've been able to get a Barclaycard, a credit card from my local credit union, a car loan, and several store cards to start rebuilding my credit. Before my bankruptcy, I had an American Express green card for 7 years. I love the perks, customer service, and use of American Express, but I've found that they probably won't approve me for another card until my bankruptcy falls off my credit report in about nine more years. I did NOT burn them in bankruptcy. I was thinking about forming a LLC in my homestate and applying for a business credit card through American Express once I get an EIN. Does this sound like a stupid idea? Any suggestions? I do sell a lot of electronics on Ebay (mostly mobile phones and computers I fix), and I do housecalls from time to time for repairs. I do have some de facto side business going on, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get this started. But I was interested in forming a LLC since the business credit would be seperate from my personal credit.

Dumb idea and tons of work just to get an Amex? I'm weird like that, but any ideas or if it's even plausible?

AMEX pulls personal credit for small business cards.  You would have to be a publicly traded company to get one relying only on the corporation's financials.

You can get a card 5 years post BK if you did not burn them.

Their Corp program does not require being a publicly traded company.   

Nope doesn't just need to be in business at least 2 years with positive income and some positive trade through business for example net30/60/90 account with other companies in good standing.. Also not even sure if it's worth it to do a llc just for that cost of it in California to do all paperwork to form a llc is about 1800 at least that's what my accountant charges me

You can file your own LLC-1 and Statement of Information and pay just the filing fees (about $120 total).  You do have an $800 minimum franchise tax annually though.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.