Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit the AMEX wall.....

tag
thunderxls
Valued Member

Hit the AMEX wall.....

Applied for a small business AMEX...declined due to hitting the limit of 5 American Express products.  The agent was very cordial and offered to close one of my accounts.  At this time, not interested in closing any of my cards due to age / use.  Hope this helps!  Looks like no HP at this time.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hit the AMEX wall.....

Sorry about the Amex air bag going off. But no HP. So no harm no foul. 

Message 2 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As a DP, what is your current breakdown of number of AMEX credit cards vs. charge cards?  If at least 4 of them are credit cards a denial is easier to understand.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 13
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Last time with AmEx rep, he indicated that AmEx does not have such card cap limit.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there is a limit, but they enforce it selectively. I keep seeing posts from people who have more revolvers than 4, but I also keep reading that the limit still exist, this post in point. 

Also, there is also some widespread misunderstanding that it's on revolvers, and not charge cards too. So who knows. 

I recently hit my exposure limit with Amex, so that I know is a real thing :-) 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought all AMEX cards age history are based from your first card with them? Even if you close one and get a new one, wouldn't they all have the same old age history?
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought all AMEX cards age history are based from your first card with them? Even if you close one and get a new one, wouldn't they all have the same old age history?

@Anonymous

No, that’s not how it works any longer.  Amex stopped backdating in March of 2015.  So if you open a new card now it will report on your credit reports as just opened and will lower your AAoA.  It may say on your card ‘Member Since 2008’ but that is purely cosmetic.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Last time with AmEx rep, he indicated that AmEx does not have such card cap limit.

They do have one.  The maximum number of revolvers you can have is 5.  There is no limit on charge cards.

Message 8 of 13
thunderxls
Valued Member

4 revolvers (personal Delta Platinum, SPG, Hilton, and old recovery Oasis) and 1 charge (Platinum). The agent I spoke with indicated it was 5 cards total regardless of revolver / charge cards. Hope this helps!
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thunderxls wrote:
4 revolvers (personal Delta Platinum, SPG, Hilton, and old recovery Oasis) and 1 charge (Platinum). The agent I spoke with indicated it was 5 cards total regardless of revolver / charge cards. Hope this helps!

Unfortunately a lot of the frontline Amex CSRs (lot of creditors have the same issue) are clueless about their own rules.  It’s certainly not what you were told here.  You can have 5 revolvers and there is no limit, other than the total number that they offer, for the charge cards.  I have a total of 7 Amex cards; 4 revolvers and 3 charge cards.  Whatever reason you were denied it wasn’t because you have too many Amex cards. These rules apply for your entire Amex account as both personal and business cards are included together.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.