Valued Contributor

How important are credit limits?

So I have a simply cash card as well as a couple Amex revolvers. I was wondering if I should use my cli for this 6 month period on my simply cash so that potential creditors of my company see a nice little 15k line, as opposed to a 5k line. What do you guys and gals think?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Epic Contributor

Re: How important are credit limits?

I don't think the CL's matter really for business.

especially when you are talking about creditors that you PG because that's all they are going off of is your personal credit.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 705 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
88 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor

I mean, I would like my firm to stand on its own--without the need to pg everything. But having said that, I can PG everything. I really want to find a way to build my company credit to the point that it can acquire mortgages to buy income producing real estate.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Epic Contributor

I think it needs a balance sheet more then credit lines... Cash is there, loans will come
Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 705 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
88 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Valued Contributor

American Express hasn't reported to Equifax, Dun and Bradstreet or Experian for me. So they may not report anywhere anyway.

Valued Contributor

Interesting..... I understood that Amex does report to business credit (ie exp and DNB).

My Wallet:
Regular Contributor

Swapmeet,

I work for a firm that is involved with business financing and leasing, and in my experience, the higher your CC limits, the better.

There are several reasons behind this:

1) Commercial lenders will want to see that you have greater than 25% of your total revolving credit available. Above 40% revolving credit available is ideal. The higher the limits, the better your % of revolving credit available (unless you start using more of it).

2) If you had previous CC debt charged off, lenders will want to see that you have rebuilt your CC limits since the BK/chargeoff. Ideally, they want to see that your new CC limits are close to or greater than the amount you had written off.

3) Higher limit CCs show business lenders that other creditors were willing to extend you higher limits, so it makes them feel more comfortable about extending near the same amount to you. Though CCs help show comparable credit, it is best to have comparable installment credit (auto loans, HELOCs) near the amount you are looking to take down.

Please note that though student loans are seen as installment loans, they carry much less weight toward your comparable borrowing history than auto loans or other business loans or leases.

Starting Scores (lender pull 3/27/10): 759 (EQ), 752 (TU), 749 (EX)
Current Scores (myFICO 4/4/11): 768 (EQ)
Goal Scores: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.