Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I do this? New to the board!

tag
Shelia141
Valued Member

How should I do this? New to the board!

Hi,

I am new to the board.  I applied for a Cap One and Amex biz card.  They gave me a really low limit.  I would like to ask them if they would consider giving me a higher limit.  What are the steps to take?

I got the cards in the mail yesterday.  I haven't activated them yet!!  Is there someone I should call before activating them?  Do I activate them then call and ask for a higher CL?  

How does this work?

Thanks in advance!  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should I do this? New to the board!

Welcome to the board!!

Do you have any other cards? what are your FICO 8 scores?

If these are your first cards, they want to see good history before bigger limits come around.

You could call before or after activating and request a higher credit line.

Message 2 of 9
Shelia141
Valued Member

No, I have several other credit cards (11 the oldest is 28YO)  I am just new with Cap one and AMEX.  My Fico 8 scores range between 711- 780.  I just wondered if anyone had a suggestion on how to tackle these two.!

I am loving this board.  Thanks for any help.  It is greatly appreciated! 

Message 3 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi welcome to the forumSmiley Happy

Are both these cards business cards? With Amex some have success requesting a cli out of the gate while most can try after 61 or 62 days,lol, sorry cant quute remember though there is a huge Amex cli thread you can check out. I believe Cap One clis are every 6 months but again, someone with Cap One experience will chime in.

Quick question, may i have your 28 year old account lolSmiley Wink Again WelcomeSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that i see your data points, i would call and request a higher CL.  Let us know how the call goes.

Good luck!!

Message 5 of 9
Shelia141
Valued Member

Yes, they are both Biz Cards.  I am calling AMEX now.  I just activated the card.  I am on hold  I hope I can get an increase!

I don't mind adding you as an AU...Smiley Wink

I was told AU's doesn't help with scores anyomore?  Is that true?

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im not sure as i know being an AU, many do teport to the cb's and thus if that card has positive history it would show on the AU's report and vice versa, if one has high utilization on that card, that can affect the AU's credit. Best of luck on getting your cli.

Just for your knowledge, usually anything business related is usually posted in the business subforum and once a mod sniffs out that keyword lol, it usually gets moved there,the post, so dont be worried if you dont see this post in credit cardsSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Shelia141
Valued Member

Opps... sorry Smiley Sad  I am a newbie..lol

I asked for a CL but I have to wait for an email or mail Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 9
jc2
Regular Contributor

welcome to myfico!

Cap One will not do manual (human decisioned) CLI or recon initial CL....you can hit the CLI button every 6 months. SP so nothing to lose if you dont get it. In some cases, people have reported the initial cli at the 5 month mark but that was only on the FIRST cli after the card was new. Others may have more info but this has been both my experience (3 years with Cap One) as well as best info I could find in researching for my Cap One cards.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.