Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Contributor

I just got $12k worth of debt dropped on me..... what's the best way to handle?

Hello,

I've been dealing with a company that offers Internet solutions for businesses which I've been in a dispute with for the past few months (since December). Unfortunately, it seems they just got fed up and decided to send me a bill for the entire year worth of services (until next December), which totals $12k - the rest of my contract, to be paid ASAP.

The good part of this is that it has not been sent to collections as of yet nor has it hit my credit report (though I suspect they will do that soon enough).

Unfortunately, $12k is a bit out of my range at the moment and they're not really open to reason/negotiation.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself/my credit from this when it does show up?

New Contributor

Re: I just got $12k worth of debt dropped on me..... what's the best way to handle?

With those facts you've just given... you might be stuck Smiley Sad   i suggest you try to negotiate a payment plan every single day until they comply.

New Contributor

Re: I just got $12k worth of debt dropped on me..... what's the best way to handle?

[ Edited ]

Hi Aces33,

I had a feeling that might be the case..... but, they're playing hardball Smiley Sad.

New Contributor

Not to be all in your business but what is the dispute about? And why do you feel you have to pay if you have a dispute with them?

New Contributor

Hi Aces,

Without going into the whole long story - the issue stems from Hurricane Sandy and the companies inability to provide services due to their facilities being flooded as well as uncooperative building management which was trying to hinder restoration of services by the company - which as a result, I lost quite a bit of revenue from my customer base (I'm a small business owner) which in turn meant that I couldn't pay the vendor.

However - they wouldn't hear of this and just kept sending me bills, even after services were suspended (I moved on to greener pastures).

As for why I feel I have to pay -- I really don't - however, I don't want it to hurt my credit (both personal and business) either. So - it's more of out of necessity for my/my companies financial future (I've since LLC'd to protect myself against future incidents like that).

Is that a reasonable explanation to your query?

New Contributor

Well you dont to sound like a jerk and say a hurricane kept you from doing your job which in turn kept me from doing mine BUT that's exactly what happenned. You lost money and to add insult to it they want you to pay them for services they couldnt provide at that point in time.  Get a jump on it and write to the credit Bureaus that inaccurate information might be reported and you want it documented that you are disputing the future charges. After all it's a fact that you did nothing wrong here if this is the story.

New Contributor

Hi Aces,

Indeed - I've already got that on my list of things to do today Smiley Happy.

Though - it sounds like there's not a whole lot I can do except for pay what I can and see if I can cut a deal with the collections folks so it doesn't hit me TOO hard.

New Contributor

That's a way to go if the goal is for it not to end up on your report. GL

New Contributor

Well - it's going to end up on the report one way or another - the question is how hard it's going to hit me.

New Contributor

At this point - my only option is to manage the fallout.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.