cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Corporation from California to Wyoming..

tag
thebusymind
New Contributor

Moving Corporation from California to Wyoming..

Hey Guys,

I have a 2 year old S-Corp that I'm considering moving from California to Wyoming.  

Details here: http://wyomingcompany.com/moveit/

There's a lot of Tax Advantages to me doing this, but since I just hit the 2 year mark, I really do not want to loose my business's credability. 

Would moving my business create some headaches for me with D&B? or is this a relatively straightforward thing to do?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Moving Corporation from California to Wyoming..

You should consult a CPA before doing this (and definitely not the site of a company whose sole purpose it is to sell you Wyoming corporations Smiley Happy.

In 99% of cases, you're going to end up having to pay corporate taxes in the state where the corporate officers are resident. And the FTB will hunt you down.

But as I said, check with a CPA. It might be a good option.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 7
thebusymind
New Contributor

Hey Rlx,

I'm actually moving the entire business (including myself) out of California. Since its an online business I can have a lot of flexibility that way. Thank god lol.

(This was actually my CPA's idea) I'm just concerned D&B will get confused and make my life difficult
Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@thebusymind wrote:
Hey Rlx,

I'm actually moving the entire business (including myself) out of California. Since its an online business I can have a lot of flexibility that way. Thank god lol.

(This was actually my CPA's idea) I'm just concerned D&B will get confused and make my life difficult

You can log into DNB iUpdate and change your address at any time and the service is free

https://iupdate.dnb.com/iUpdate/viewiUpdateHome.htm

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
rlx01
Established Contributor

Ah... well, that's a lot easier (except for the moving part Smiley Wink.

I wouldn't worry about D&B etc. As long as you have the same FEIN you should be ok.

Message 5 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

We're considering doing the same, but to Texas.  To be spared the CA State taxes, I think the legal definition is that you'd have to reside in out of CA for more than 6 months?

Message 6 of 7
thebusymind
New Contributor

From what I understand, California just sees that you've dissolved your corporation.  So the change would be immediate.  Since Wyoming uses registered agents, and doesnt report corporate owners for privacy reasons, there is no way California would know that you simply moved your corporation instead of calling it quits.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.