Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first attempt for a Business Credit card not succesful

tag
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

My first attempt for a Business Credit card not succesful

Well, i just became a partner with my father's established business at the start of this year and took the plunge to see if i could get approved for my first business credit card. Unfortunately it was a no go. I tried the Amex simply cash since i already have history with them and submitted the application. Instantly it told me to call them right away to verify some information and receive a decision. It gave me a reference application number along with the number to call them. I applied late at night so waited the next day to call them. When i did the CSR asked for my social, address, and reference number and then he said "oh, your application has actually been declined" (i felt like he was a little surprised when he told me that). He then gave me the reason why and that was it. He did say that i should probably try again in 2-3 months. Oh well, at least it was a SP. Decided to stop there and just wait to apply for any business credit for myself until next year.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: My first attempt for a Business Credit card not succesful

I would try with Chase if you can take another inquiry. I was declined at first because the analyst said they like two years of business history, but after asking again I was approved for 2000 and it increased up to 5000 upon request. I recently applied and was approved for a generous line for another business card from them after abotu one year of having one. I wouldn't let one decline keep you away from obtaining a business credit card. They look at your personal report anyway, and it looks fine from here. Even if you get declined with Chase you could move credit from the United Club card you have.

Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

Well, i just became a partner with my father's established business at the start of this year and took the plunge to see if i could get approved for my first business credit card. Unfortunately it was a no go. I tried the Amex simply cash since i already have history with them and submitted the application. Instantly it told me to call them right away to verify some information and receive a decision. It gave me a reference application number along with the number to call them. I applied late at night so waited the next day to call them. When i did the CSR asked for my social, address, and reference number and then he said "oh, your application has actually been declined" (i felt like he was a little surprised when he told me that). He then gave me the reason why and that was it. He did say that i should probably try again in 2-3 months. Oh well, at least it was a SP. Decided to stop there and just wait to apply for any business credit for myself until next year.

Congrats on being a business owner....BRAVO

What reason did Amex give for the denial?

Another option with Amex is recon again and ask for a charge since the revolver was denied to build business history and you have history with a personal NPSL card so this may help in the decision.

What bank do you bank with this may also be another option as you already have history with them?

Chase Ink cards are a good option but I would like more info about the denial reason before suggesting you apply.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

thanks for the grats! I do have a business checking accounts with Chase and US bank. Chase was just opened 3 months ago. My father already has a Chase Ink Cash and 2 US Bank business credit cards. The only reason i applied for the simply cash was because i knew if i would get denied it would only be a SP. I have way too much INQs on my EX report this year and i know Chase will pull EX here in NV for personal and business apps so my chances are not good. (have 12 INQ in the last year, 5 of them auto related done in one day). I have no idea who US bank pulls for business but i know they also pull EX for personal. My utilization went up to 9% this month and my AAoA is 3 years on EX report.

Message 4 of 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

Another option with Amex is recon again and ask for a charge since the revolver was denied to build business history and you have history with a personal NPSL card so this may help in the decision.

What bank do you bank with this may also be another option as you already have history with them?

Chase Ink cards are a good option but I would like more info about the denial reason before suggesting you apply.

the reason for denial i think he said were, low fico score (he said it was 715 on last SP). Not too long being an AMEX cardholder. Delinquencies (im assuming the 51 dollar paid collection on EX report) and too many creditors have looked at my report recently (INQ of course).

Message 5 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

BofA seems to love you... maybe you should go with them!

otherwise I 2nd Chase... you can recon and they can easily tell the auto and no biggie.

Message 6 of 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

BofA seems to love you... maybe you should go with them!

otherwise I 2nd Chase... you can recon and they can easily tell the auto and no biggie.

thanks for the input caddict!. I am going to wait a couple of months and try Chase and BofA and wait till Jan. for AMEX. Just want my utilization to be around 5% again and 3 of my new accounts will hit 6 months by then. Its not a must to get a business credit card for myself at the moment. Just wanted to try and see if i could start right now. Plus i am officially in the garden now so going to stay put. 

Message 7 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

the reason for denial i think he said were, low fico score (he said it was 715 on last SP). Not too long being an AMEX cardholder. Delinquencies (im assuming the 51 dollar paid collection on EX report) and too many creditors have looked at my report recently (INQ of course).

I would let the ding from the INQ's wear off before trying for any cards...don't rush your in the garden and have time to boost scores

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 11
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

I would let the ding from the INQ's wear off before trying for any cards...don't rush your in the garden and have time to boost scores

you are right journey and that is what i have decided. Will just wait till next year. Maybe try AMEX once again for early backdating. Im content with what i have at the moment plus have opened 8 new accounts this year already. Time to garden...

Message 9 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dodgerslv wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@dodgerslv wrote:

you are right journey and that is what i have decided. Will just wait till next year. Maybe try AMEX once again for early backdating. Im content with what i have at the moment plus have opened 8 new accounts this year already. Time to garden...

See you in the garden I'll be right there with youSmiley Happy

When I come back out of the garden its for another business card.....Chase InkSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.