Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex Card - Credit Limit Increases & Utilization Rate

tag
JustinG
New Visitor

New Amex Card - Credit Limit Increases & Utilization Rate

I recently got my first Amex business (SimplyCash $4200) and person card (Blue Preferred.)  What's the best strategy to get the largest credit line increase after 60 days?

1) Charge and pay off large amounts first 2 months?  I'm buying wholesale so I can do that and could do 80% utilization.

2) Keep monthly charges under 10% utilization?

The rest of my credit utlization will remain the same during this time period.

Also is there a max limit for SimplyCash?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: New Amex Card - Credit Limit Increases & Utilization Rate

@JustinG wrote:

I recently got my first Amex business (SimplyCash $4200) and person card (Blue Preferred.)  What's the best strategy to get the largest credit line increase after 60 days?

1) Charge and pay off large amounts first 2 months?  I'm buying wholesale so I can do that and could do 80% utilization.

CHARGE CHARGE CHARGE! The more you show you need and can pay the more they will give!

you use 10%, that doesn't show you need more than what you have.

now while history probably shows the first CLI doesn't rely so much on your high usage, future CLI's will certainly play into the kind of charging you are doing and that it fits within your income also!

Message 2 of 4
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@JustinG wrote:

CHARGE CHARGE CHARGE! The more you show you need and can pay the more they will give!

you use 10%, that doesn't show you need more than what you have.

now while history probably shows the first CLI doesn't rely so much on your high usage, future CLI's will certainly play into the kind of charging you are doing and that it fits within your income also!

Yes, Yes and Yes.

Message 3 of 4
Abrante

We are on the same boat. I got the new EveryDay card on April 22nd and my cycle closed yesterday. I have charged roughly $950 since then, made over 20 individual purchases so I qualified for the 20% bonus points. Also, I have a zero balance on the account. I use and pay, I called customer service to ask if making frequent payments will ultimately be looked at as a negative by Amex and was told that the contrary is true, by making frequent payments and keeping utilization low they will quickly build a positive profile for me as a Amex customer. Basically, paying the debt in one (or multiple) payments is better than paying late. My total utilization from all my available credit is under 7% (Amex and other CC's). I am not expecting anything more than the typical 3x CLI at the 60 day point. But, we will see!  I also have a Chase Sapphire Preferred as my backup card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.