Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DUNS Number Required?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New DUNS Number Required?

Hello Everyone,

Maybe someone could shed some light on this situation for me. Any and all advise or comments are welcome. So, he is my situation......I owned a business in 1994 - 1996... I did acquire a DUNS and EIN number. The business was located in Maryland. I ended up closing that business and moving to South Carolina. However, there is still a DUNS number listed for that business and business address and still linked to me. My main question is can I keep that DUNS number and EIN number and change the business name and re-locate it under a LLC and DBA to South Carolina. I know that when I apply for the LLC that I will have to obtain a different EIN number. I did go online and found my DUNS number after buying a report for a total of $42.00. But thats ok, I did obtain my number. However there was not any score listed or accounts, just company info. Guess that would be a starting place if I can keep and relocate the number. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

DaleSC1 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
2wheel
Frequent Contributor

Re: New DUNS Number Required?

the duns number is linked to the ein number and the ein is linked to the business. If your going to open up anew business you will need a new ein number and new duns . you might want to ask DNB About the situation but I think it ( the older company) would have to be a parent company to link up duns number to it. Like I opened a courier company in 1994 and logistics company in 2003  but I never closed the courier company down I just added the logistics company as a subsurdarity of the parent company.
Message Edited by 2wheel on 03-29-2009 03:53 PM
2wheel
Message 2 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Answer to your question, technically yes, you can change the name and move to a new location and keep it still as old business and retain the age of the company. My suggestion, consult one of your local atty or cpa to find out the details.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies....guess i will see what duns has to say about it. then i will confirm with a cpa.But what has me baffled is if the parent company is closed do i still use the name being the parent company and just change the address with dunns to my current state?
Message 4 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

If the parent is closed, start from scratch, IMO. 
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i did end up starting from scratch. the parent company was closed and had been for awhile. so at the low low cost of $349.00 to set up the new business and get a dun's #. all to be done within 2 hours. we'll see ?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You didn't need to pay $349 to get a duns #.
Message 7 of 9
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i did end up starting from scratch. the parent company was closed and had been for awhile. so at the low low cost of $349.00 to set up the new business and get a dun's #. all to be done within 2 hours. we'll see ?

DaleSC1, please read the excellent thread on Business Credit by the venerable Tuscani! It may save you a lot of grief, a lot of time and definitely a lot of money. Recommended reading before starting any business needing credit

Carry on....

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

that is a informative thread....and just so you know it have read it and read it and read it.....however some circumstances can't wait the process......sometimes one has to do what one has to do.....and i wasn't complaining about having to pay the fee.....if one can wait the process out and hope it goes the way its supposed to, then it would be free......maybe you should read the numerous threads on here and on another well know business credit site about the numerous cc companies and credit suppliers not reporting to dun thus not allowing one to automatically create an account, with that said, thanks for your informative advice. i will "carry on".

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.