cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sole proprieter business. Do I need to establish business credit? Personal BK in 2003.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New sole proprieter business. Do I need to establish business credit? Personal BK in 2003.

Hi, I have an online business where I sell clothing on my own site. I have been established for about 2 years now. I am receiving credit card apps, for business owner only. Do I really need to have "business cc"? I am a sole proprieter.

Second question, I had to claim bankruptcy in 2003 due to loss of job, move, and then back in school. I haven't checked but it should be off my credit report now. If asked if I have ever filed bankruptcy do I answer yes, or because it should now be off my report am I able to say no?

Any help is appreciated! Woman Very Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: New sole proprieter business. Do I need to establish business credit? Personal BK in 2003.

Hi, ffc!

Sole proprietors sometimes get business credit cards for purposes of keeping their utilization low on their personal credit reports.  The trick here is to obtain a card that does not report to personal credit unless the account goes into default.  Cap One biz cards formerly did not report to personal, for instance, but now does.  Balances on a Cap One biz card will impact your personal report's utilization percentages. 

If you are looking for a biz card that does not report to personal, you should ask that question here before applying, and then ask the issuer, again, before applying.

Re: the BK, that may not even be off of your personal reports right now, a BK will usually stay on for ten years.  You should check your report to see if it's there.  But whether it is there or not, you are able to say "No"...but you'd be lying, right?

Hope this helps!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.