Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I have Amex should I close Spark?

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Now I have Amex should I close Spark?

I got a business Platinum Amex a couple of months ago and really like it so far - the online tools and features are so much better than the Capital One Spark. I own a small business with a few employees, they all have Spark cards and Gold Amex's at the moment. The Spark CL is $8000. I'm thinking about closing it, as I want to transition to exclusively using the Amex account for 2014. It seems to suit us better in every way - especially for expense tracking, uploading receipts, allowing our accountant access etc. instead of me sending the accountant the Spark statement every month. My question is should I close the Spark account? On some CRs it reports on my personal CR so not sure if it'll affect UTL. Also thinking maybe I should just cancel all the authorized users of it and keep it open with just a card for myself? How long before they'd close it due to inactivity?

Edit to add - I never carry a balance - always PIF.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Now I have Amex should I close Spark?

@CreditJim wrote:

I got a business Platinum Amex a couple of months ago and really like it so far - the online tools and features are so much better than the Capital One Spark. I own a small business with a few employees, they all have Spark cards and Gold Amex's at the moment. The Spark CL is $8000. I'm thinking about closing it, as I want to transition to exclusively using the Amex account for 2014. It seems to suit us better in every way - especially for expense tracking, uploading receipts, allowing our accountant access etc. instead of me sending the accountant the Spark statement every month. My question is should I close the Spark account? On some CRs it reports on my personal CR so not sure if it'll affect UTL. Also thinking maybe I should just cancel all the authorized users of it and keep it open with just a card for myself? How long before they'd close it due to inactivity?

Edit to add - I never carry a balance - always PIF.

I would keep the card open just so I have other options and not put all my eggs in one basket  

Cap1 does report to personal CR's so yes this can have an effect on UTL

Cancel the AU's and keep it in your wallet 

IIRC you must use it once a year before they will close but I always recommend 3 times a year 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 3
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Now I have Amex should I close Spark?

IMHO you should try for an Ink Bold or something, then close the Spark (in case someone doesn't take AMEX).
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.