Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Citi Aadvantage Business

tag
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Question about Citi Aadvantage Business

I have 2 personal citi AA executive cards and i know you cannot apply for the personal aadvantage select when having the executive until a year i think. Now does that apply also for the business AA card also?. I wanna try for a couple of business cards. I applied for the 70k Ink Plus offer but the app has been pending since 10/10. I am going to wait it out on that one but wanted to also apply for the Citi business. Dont want to waste an INQ if im going to get instantly denied.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about Citi Aadvantage Business

No it doesn't apply to the Biz AAdvantage. Just the general Citi application rules apply. This was my first business card and was instant approved but i heard some people are put through the 20 questions treatment.
Message 2 of 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

Well this is the first time I have experienced an application review with Citi...so I went and ahead and applied for the Biz AA card and told me to call in for an immediate decision with an application ID number....the lady said she was going to review this application and put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and told me she couldn't give me a decision...she said the application needed to be reviewed by another department and to call back in a couple of days to check status....I even think she said it had to be looked at by a couple of departments...I have a feeling this will not turn out good...I have 6 personal citi cards already... Anyone can share any info or have experience similar situation?
Message 3 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgerslv wrote:
Well this is the first time I have experienced an application review with Citi...so I went and ahead and applied for the Biz AA card and told me to call in for an immediate decision with an application ID number....the lady said she was going to review this application and put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and told me she couldn't give me a decision...she said the application needed to be reviewed by another department and to call back in a couple of days to check status....I even think she said it had to be looked at by a couple of departments...I have a feeling this will not turn out good...I have 6 personal citi cards already... Anyone can share any info or have experience similar situation?

Any idea if you're at or near your max exposure?  Sorry, Citi can be either really easy or really tough for the business cards.

Message 4 of 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure I am...I have over 70k in credit with them...that could be one of the reasons and I assume they don't allow you to transfer limits from personal to business so that could be a reason...I really should have lowered my limits on a couple of cards..I guess we will see.
Message 5 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgerslv wrote:
I'm pretty sure I am...I have over 70k in credit with them...that could be one of the reasons and I assume they don't allow you to transfer limits from personal to business so that could be a reason...I really should have lowered my limits on a couple of cards..I guess we will see.

Good luck and keep us posted.  At least they didn't straight up deny you, they might ask you to move around some limits.  It takes forever for Citi to free up limits in their system.  I shed a bunch of cards this year and they say I'm still at max exposure.

Message 6 of 9
LianaCCB

They may counter with an offer to consolidate some of your personal cards in order to approve the business card. Even if you handle the accounts well and pay everything off, the lenders eventually reach a point where they feel they've extended a "sufficient amount of credit" to you and won't approve additional accounts without merging or consolidating.

If they keep giving you the runaround, or deny the business card, offer to have them close one or two of your personal accounts and have them in turn open the biz card for the same amount. (For example, if you close two $10k personal cards, have them open the business card for $20k).

Hope that helps!

Liana
4+ years of experience in the business credit industry
Message 7 of 9
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@LianaCCB wrote:

They may counter with an offer to consolidate some of your personal cards in order to approve the business card. Even if you handle the accounts well and pay everything off, the lenders eventually reach a point where they feel they've extended a "sufficient amount of credit" to you and won't approve additional accounts without merging or consolidating.

If they keep giving you the runaround, or deny the business card, offer to have them close one or two of your personal accounts and have them in turn open the biz card for the same amount. (For example, if you close two $10k personal cards, have them open the business card for $20k).

Hope that helps!

well thanks for the info Liana and just to update i checked the application status link and just like i expected it got declined. Havent called them yet but i have a feeling it is because i have reached their max credit threshold. I will call them tomorrow and see if they can give me the actual reason over the phone or have to wait for letter. So i went 1 for 2 on my business applications (Chase approval, Citi denial). On the bright side Citi did only pull EQ for the first time (always had been double pull on EX & EQ) considering i only have 8 INQs total and 5 of them are by Citi alone while EX i have 30. I already requested to lower some of my limits so i have cut it down 12k. I will give it a couple of more months and try again (January).

Message 8 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@dodgerslv wrote:

@LianaCCB wrote:

Hope that helps!

well thanks for the info Liana and just to update i checked the application status link and just like i expected it got declined. Havent called them yet but i have a feeling it is because i have reached their max credit threshold. I will call them tomorrow and see if they can give me the actual reason over the phone or have to wait for letter. So i went 1 for 2 on my business applications (Chase approval, Citi denial). On the bright side Citi did only pull EQ for the first time (always had been double pull on EX & EQ) considering i only have 8 INQs total and 5 of them are by Citi alone while EX i have 30. I already requested to lower some of my limits so i have cut it down 12k. I will give it a couple of more months and try again (January).

Sorry to hear that.  Maybe they will let you move some limits around?  Supposedly if you just close a card it can take up to 6 months for that limit to "free up" in their system, but if you CLD yourself, it takes a few weeks instead.  I CLD a few cards first, then closed after another month back in August, but I'm not going to apply for another until December or January to see if it worked.  Goodluck!!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.