Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Seeking Advice For Wife Business Loan Process

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice as I attempt to get my wife approved for a personal loan for her small business. Simply put, she has been in business < 6 months, 

scores took a hit with a late and paid medical collection, but are slowly rebounding to 620-630 and that's with high util that will be paid down by month end. We're hoping to get her to 660 as some lenders were requesting that. Here's the question:

I have good credit and already have a near paid personal loan, a new personal loan (penfed) and a new auto loan (all penfed). I don't mind co signing and I have a $90k income and < 40% dti, but I worry if I offer to co-sign I will be rendered useless due to the new loan accounts. Her issue is she has no revenue yet, it's going to be red for a while until she receives her liquor license and we want to fund for the next 2-4 months while we wait for it to complete. So the question is:

Should she look into a personal loan, like I took out originally for her, or try SBA, knowing it may take some time, or instead consider a LOC? I worry if we go the 'OneMain' route the apr will be through the roof and I worry SBA will find a reason to deny her from no revenue/being too new/etc. What would you do if you were in her situation? Thank you.

Epic Contributor

Re: Seeking Advice For Wife Business Loan Process

A Penfed Line of Credit (even if it's personal) might be the best short-term solution at this point.

I don't know what state you are in but a liquor license might give you instant leverage for a loan if they are valuable like they are here in CA!

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

How big of a loan does she need?  How much can she actually afford to put towards loan payments?  What period of time does she need to repay the loan?  

FICO8 3/17 550EX, 570TU, 559EQ
FICO8 10/17 699EX, 693TU, 717EQ
Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, guys.

Regarding Penfed, I have an account with Penfed and have obtained a loan through them - $25k. Also have a $25k car loan, all 2 months old. So my concern was even if she joins, too, my co-sign wouldn't impact it positively as Penfed already has lent to us, albeit through me directly. With regard to loan amount, goal is 5 year term for $20-$25k. In addition there is a business plan in place and we are applying for a liquor license which, in our town, is almost printing money. We can probably put $2-4k if we had to as down payment if needed and she'd be able to pay it per month. The idea is to have enough to handle expenses for 2-3 months to buy time for the liquor license and continue to grow, as there is growth, just slow going.

One update: We are coordinating with a small bank that runs through SBA loans. We had initiated paperwork/research but put it on hold and I simply obtained a loan in the meantime for personal expenses and to also assist with the business. We are awaiting word on what he would need from us/etc.

Thank you for your time.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.