Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change my biz entity

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Should I change my biz entity

Currently I am a sole prop. Is there any benefit to forming an LLC or S-corp from a business credit perspective? I have avoided doing so to this point, since the costs of formation as well as the additional taxation issues make things slightly more complicated than with a sole prop and given the nature of my buisness the liability protection wil not really do much for me if anything. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: Should I change my biz entity

@red259 wrote:

Currently I am a sole prop. Is there any benefit to forming an LLC or S-corp from a business credit perspective? I have avoided doing so to this point, since the costs of formation as well as the additional taxation issues make things slightly more complicated than with a sole prop and given the nature of my buisness the liability protection wil not really do much for me if anything. 

Beside business credit!!!

Think of it this way if you're a SOLE OWNER: Let say someone gets hurt in your company or something else went wrong, you can be sued and if they win they'll go after your personal assets such as your house, car, personal saving etc..

If your company is formed as an LLC or INC they will go after the corporation and your personal assets will be protected.

Message 2 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@peaceonearth wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Think of it this way if you're a SOLE OWNER: Let say someone gets hurt in your company or something else went wrong, you can be sued and if they win they'll go after your personal assets such as your house, car, personal saving etc..

If your company is formed as an LLC or INC they will go after the corporation and your personal assets will be protected.

I'm fully aware of that aspect, but given the way my business works the chances of that happening are extremely limited. I'm only curious to see if there is a benefit from a business credit perspective. 

;
Message 3 of 6
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I'm fully aware of that aspect, but given the way my business works the chances of that happening are extremely limited. I'm only curious to see if there is a benefit from a business credit perspective. 

That really depends on your state's laws. In Florida my primary residence is safe as well as limited vehicle and other assets. Of course one can easily "shelter" assets even as a sole proprietor and should do so just in case. I know as I was sued once as a business in Florida. Essentially it was tough luck to the plaintiff and I never showed or had representation for the hearing(s).

There is no benefit of a certain business structure in relation to credit. 

Message 4 of 6
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@red259 wrote:

well its related

if a business defaults on its loans and creditors sue to recover it, they can only possibly seize what the business has, and not sue you and garnish your personal wages and property

Message 5 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@peaceonearth wrote:

@red259 wrote:

well its related

if a business defaults on its loans and creditors sue to recover it, they can only possibly seize what the business has, and not sue you and garnish your personal wages and property

Not relevant in my situation since my business does not have any loans/lines of credit other than the credit cards. I had to personally guarantee the credit cards anyway, so I would be personally liable on those in event of default regardless. 

;
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.