Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business trying to build new credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small Business trying to build new credit

Hello everyone. I've been looking up answers to my business credit for about a month now and everytime any useful information comes up it is from these forums so I decided to join. I am involved in a homecare LLC with 3 other people (1 of them is basically out the business already but on paperwork he is still an owner). We were established 04/2016 so we don't have a long history but we have our EIN, DUNS # and business bank account. Before I was just using my personal CC for the business and paying it off every month but I wanted to disconnect my persoanal cards from the business in case I have an emergency and actually need to use my credit cards. 

I researched most of January and this month I went ahead and applied for a Net 30 from Quill.com and Staples.com, I was approved for them both even though I had to call staples and give more info. I was also able to get approved for an officedepot business credit card. I'm unsure if the office depot card will show up on my personal credit so I'm waiting to see if it pops up before applying more places. Then I was denied for an American Express business card and I stopped applying places. 

I read that I should have 2-3 Net 30 accounts and 3-5 business credit cards Then I can try and get an all around business credit card. Is that a good route to follow? 

I could apply for a Uline net-30 but there isn't anything I need from them and I think just having 2 net-30 accounts might be good for now. 

How long should I wait before paying the net-30 accounts, currently the quill invoice is 3 days old? I was thinking 10-15 days.

I also was looking into getting a secured CC for the business just so I can have something reporting monthly but after getting approved for the Office Depot store card I know there's at least 1 company (citi bank) reporting monthly. 

Should I still get a secured business card? 

How long should I wait before applying for other business cards? 

Thanks in advance 

Drewet88

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Small Business trying to build new credit

Welcome to the board.  Congrats on the new business.  You are on the right track.  You can apply for a business credit card as they - credit card companies use your personal credit when approving you for a business credit card although they don't report to your personal credit.

Look into Chase, Citi, BOA etc business credit cards.  There is no need to get a secured business card if you have already established personal credit.

Message 2 of 4
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Hi..

How is your personal credit? Look into Capital One Spark...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the late reply I didn't bookmark the site and had a hard time back tracking my way back to the forums. Before I saw your reply I was approved for a Chase Ink card with a 4k limit, so that will be my main business credit card for now and I won't be looking into a secured credit card. Chase sent a letter asking for proof of my EIN once I sent them a copy of it I got an email saying I was approved, it took a couple of weeks. 

So now I have 1 account with Quill (only made 2 orders and I might not make anymore now that I got a credit card and local prices are cheaper)

1 commercial account at Staples

1 business credit card at Office Depot

1 net 30 account with fleet corp (gas card) 

1 net account with National Pen (but I have no idea if they report I just opened it to have some marketing materials)

Any idea how long I should wait before applying for a card through Capitol One Spark or a credit line at US Bank (its where my business account is)

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.