Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This typical?

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

This typical?

So in another thread, I mentioned I picked up a new car this past Saturday. At a cost of approm $45/wk, I thought about having that paid by way of working p/t for Lyft. I'm in a great location that is not yet saturated and my research shows I can easily obtain my goal.

I did some more reviews and want to keep the expenses tracked seperately from my personal so that I can file taxes accordingly.  Having never owned a business before and certainly never having applied for a business credit card, I went ahead and app'd Amex Simply Cash Biz card.  I did so as a Sole pro and was expecting 1 or 2 outcomes:

1) Declined 

or

2) Approved with 1k CL

I didn't think that it would be a 3rd outcome:

3)Instantly approved with 20K LIMIT!

WOW!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This typical?

@Repo-ed wrote:

So in another thread, I mentioned I picked up a new car this past Saturday. At a cost of approm $45/wk, I thought about having that paid by way of working p/t for Lyft. I'm in a great location that is not yet saturated and my research shows I can easily obtain my goal.

I did some more reviews and want to keep the expenses tracked seperately from my personal so that I can file taxes accordingly.  Having never owned a business before and certainly never having applied for a business credit card, I went ahead and app'd Amex Simply Cash Biz card.  I did so as a Sole pro and was expecting 1 or 2 outcomes:

1) Declined 

or

2) Approved with 1k CL

WOW!

Unfamiliar with Lyft.  I assume it is like Uber?

If so, I was under the impression that Uber drivers (and therefore I assume Lyft) are not business owners, but employees for the company and therefore would not be eligible for a buisness account as they dont have a Tax ID.

Am I wrong?

Message 2 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

1) Declined 

or

2) Approved with 1k CL

WOW!

If so, I was under the impression that Uber drivers (and therefore I assume Lyft) are not business owners, but employees for the company and therefore would not be eligible for a buisness account as they dont have a Tax ID.

Am I wrong?

Both are considered by insurance companies to be "TNC" (Transportation Network Companies) and as such each driver is an independant contractor.  Both require Schedule C and can claim standard deduct or itemize.

Most fall under the Standard deduct and likely I will too. I want to track all expenses involved so I can make a well educated decision come tax time.

I prefer lyft (I use both as a consumer) because you can tip through the app, whereas you can not via uber's app and who carries cash anymore? I always feel guilty getting out of a cool uber drivers car w/o tipping.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

1) Declined 

or

2) Approved with 1k CL

WOW!

Am I wrong?

Both are considered by insurance companies to be "TNC" (Transportation Network Companies) and as such each driver is an independant contractor.  Both require Schedule C and can claim standard deduct or itemize.

Most fall under the Standard deduct and likely I will too. I want to track all expenses involved so I can make a well educated decision come tax time.

I prefer lyft (I use both as a consumer) because you can tip through the app, whereas you can not via uber's app and who carries cash anymore? I always feel guilty getting out of a cool uber drivers car w/o tipping.

Interesting.  Because I am not a business owner I have never applied for Business Credit before.  Doesn't it ask for your tax id when applying?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need a tax Id if you're a sole proprietorship.  Many people get business cards by using their SSN instead of tax ids.

Message 5 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't need a tax Id if you're a sole proprietorship.  Many people get business cards by using their SSN instead of tax ids.

^^^This

I used my SSN and my company name (required to input in the app) is "Driver"

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since Amex bases their decision for the SimplyCash based on personal credit profile, your starting line isn't surprising. Your sig indicates your scores are excellent.

Message 7 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since Amex bases their decision for the SimplyCash based on personal credit profile, your starting line isn't surprising. Your sig indicates your scores are excellent.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but my highest personal card is a 15k CostCo card.  Either way, I'll take the 20k! 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes perfect sense. When they approved mine at $10K, my highest personal card was my ED at $6K.

Message 9 of 11
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the nice approval Repo-ed!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.