Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with my ink bold card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

What to do with my ink bold card

The AF hit on my ink bold card. I currently have the CSR. I'm not sure if I should get rid of the bold card (I have another chase ink card no AF with the 5x categories). I'm going to call to see if there is any kind of retention offer. With the CSR the way it currently is I am leaning towards renewing it in a couple of months. I was kind of thrown by that chase survey, even though its just a survey it makes me a bit nervous that they may not let me transfer my 5x business expenses to travel partners unless I have an ink card.

Also, who knows what will happen with the CSR. If they start chipping away at the benefits I may not find it worth it going forward. One of the primary reasons I am looking to keep it is the PP membership since I will be getting rid of the prestige. If it loses that or the travel credit I may need to reassess. Maybe it makes sense to pay the $95 to keep the bold card for another year, so that I can dump the CSR if it falls apart in the second year? I have the CS for restaurant spend (I had been planning on switching this over to a freedom unlimited).   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
red259
Super Contributor

Re: What to do with my ink bold card

Just called chase. They are refusing to make any sort of retention offer on my bold card. I really like this card but it doesn't really add anything in terms of value to my collection since I have the transfer ability from the CSR and I have the 5x categories from the ink cash. 

;
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would close the account and get the Ink Preffered you'll get an 80k sign up bonus, expanded 3x categories (in addition to the 5x you get with Ink Cash) and more benefits (like the ability to transfer, though I know you already get that sign CSR).

Looking at its rewards structure I would alternate between using that and Ink Cash both are great cards I have them both.
Message 3 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would close the account and get the Ink Preffered you'll get an 80k sign up bonus, expanded 3x categories (in addition to the 5x you get with Ink Cash) and more benefits (like the ability to transfer, though I know you already get that sign CSR).

Looking at its rewards structure I would alternate between using that and Ink Cash both are great cards I have them both.

I just crossed over the 30 day mark since the AF hit. In addition due to 5/24 I'm not going to be able to get the ink preferred for another two years at least. I'm thinking I will eat the AF on this because I just don't trust what they may do with the CSR down the line. 

;
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 years is a steep wait, do you think they'd let you PC it?
Message 5 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
2 years is a steep wait, do you think they'd let you PC it?

Not sure I want another AF. Its been awhile since I looked at the new business card. What makes it so great if you have an old ink? 

;
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just like the expanded categories for 3X plus the cell phone protection, and only a $95 AF not sure how much the Bold AF is. I've heard they pro-rate after 30 days.
Message 7 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just like the expanded categories for 3X plus the cell phone protection, and only a $95 AF not sure how much the Bold AF is. I've heard they pro-rate after 30 days.

Other than the cell phone protection its a loss to me. I have the CSR for 3x on travel. With my current ink card I get 5x points on internet/cable/phones etc. The AF is still the $95. Likely they won't give me a retention offer on it because they want to kill off the card. If I decide to downgrade the CSR to a CS and I am still 5/24 at that point maybe I will PC the bold to an ink preferred to get the 3x on travel. I still have my ink cash for the 5x categories. 

;
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also 3x on Shipping and advertising a nice perk.

I'm guessing you just have the business cards and use them for personal use and vice versa?

For me if I were to get the CSR I would keep that spend COMPLETELY separate from any spend on my Ink Preffered and thus each would serve its own purpose, CSR for personal and Ink Preffered for Business expenses. Which is why I recommended PC'ing. I just don't see any benefit of having the Ink Bold over the Ink Preffered especially considering you have the Ink Cash already. I'm sure if you spoke to someone they'd be HAPPY to PC you to the Ink Preffered likely waiving the AF (or somehow applying the AF already paid for the Bold) for two reasons: A) To kill off the Bold and B) So you're not getting the 80k UR.

Just my thoughts.
Message 9 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Also 3x on Shipping and advertising a nice perk.

I'm guessing you just have the business cards and use them for personal use and vice versa?

For me if I were to get the CSR I would keep that spend COMPLETELY separate from any spend on my Ink Preffered and thus each would serve its own purpose, CSR for personal and Ink Preffered for Business expenses. Which is why I recommended PC'ing. I just don't see any benefit of having the Ink Bold over the Ink Preffered especially considering you have the Ink Cash already. I'm sure if you spoke to someone they'd be HAPPY to PC you to the Ink Preffered likely waiving the AF (or somehow applying the AF already paid for the Bold) for two reasons: A) To kill off the Bold and B) So you're not getting the 80k UR.

Just my thoughts.

I can see them changing the ink cash over before changing over the bold card, but I'm in no rush to help them kill off the bold card. I have business cards because I have a business and my business expenses almost always go on my business cards. The amount of overlap is very minimal just given the nature of the categories. I don't have large shipping or advertising expenses with my business so that category doesn't really do much for me. I'm quite happy with the bold card and its been my favorite card for years. If I had a guarantee that they weren't going to gut the CSR in the next two years or that I will be able to transfer my ink cash points to travel partners with the CSR for the next two years then I'd probably close it. Sadly I don't trust Chase and want to keep my options open.  

;
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.