cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Chase Recon approves you but you're still not approved.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When Chase Recon approves you but you're still not approved.....

So, I have had my personal and business checking accounts with Chase for months now, trying to get in with them for a CC. Last app was 6 months ago for a personal card, which was declined. My recon consisted of me describing how well my business is doing and how much money is being brought in, in general, and how I'd love the card for various reasons. At that time, the analyst said, "but you're not applying for a business card" and it was ultimately declined.

So this time, this time I thought I'd do things differently and get a business card first so that I might have an "in" with them and garden for a while before trying for a personal card (this is what I did with Amex and it worked out just fine). I thought surely it wouldn't be declined as I have an outstanding banking relationship with Chase, a good CC profile overall with perfect payments, though I do have some credit dings (now finally over 2 years old, which is the amount of time they said to wait before trying again) that are still there and have been the reason for denial in the past.

Anyway.... the applicaiton for the card was declined so I called recon. The analyst asked me probably 20 questions about the business, and I was put on hold several times. Ultimately she said that although she recognizes some bad things on my CR, she sees they are aging (over 2 years old) and she was happy to approve for $5k for an Ink card. 

Then there was silence. She was confused. She asked for another couple minutes because the system wasn't letting her override the decision. Eventually she said she would have to call me back, as she's not experienced this problem before.

She called me back an hour later. Her manager, a senior analyst, had to get involved and decided to decline.

Does anyone have experience with this? An analyst that actually approves you (or tries to) and then he or she can't?

What to do? Let it go? Call again? Call EO?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When Chase Recon approves you but you're still not approved.....

That's what I went through with the Freedom earlier this year. The analyst and I were on the phone for probably 20 minutes and he said "Look, I'm trying everything I can but there is nothing I can enter that's allowing me to override the computer's decision. Please try back in 6 months, after you've had enough time to show us how you use your new accounts."

So, that's what I'm doing.

Persistence or defeat are personal choices, but one twenty minute phone call with a guy who tried very hard to help me, but ultimately couldn't, I took as a sign to leave it alone.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did the Sr. analyst decide to decline the transaction?.  Did they say?  I'd call back again or if you have a Chase branch near you, go into the branch and have a business banker call the lending department directly on your behalf.

You have a much better chance getting approved doing it this way.  Essntially, the business banker is almost reconning on your behalf if they open your account for you and know your business well.

All the best and keep us posted on results.

Message 3 of 12
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Ouch.
Message 4 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I've said it before and will say it again, the Chase we all used to know is gone. OP, that's painful I'm sorry to hear it.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Why did the Sr. analyst decide to decline the transaction?.  Did they say?  I'd call back again or if you have a Chase branch near you, go into the branch and have a business banker call the lending department directly on your behalf.

You have a much better chance getting approved doing it this way.  Essntially, the business banker is almost reconning on your behalf if they open your account for you and know your business well.

Senior analyst cited the baddies from >2 years ago that the original analyst was more than willing to overlook because of the amount of time passed.

Is it time to contact EO? Does anyone have any luck ever with Chase EO?

Otherwise I like the suggestion to contact business banker...

Message 6 of 12
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Senior analyst cited the baddies from >2 years ago that the original analyst was more than willing to overlook because of the amount of time passed.

You could try but is it worth going through the hassle? Why they dont have it where there system can be completely override is far from me but generally its in place to prevent abuse. Is this also related to your personal CR or business CR? 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous,

I'd still go in and talk to a business banker about the application...  If that fails then that is when you can reach out to their EO.  But business banker first- I will keep fingers crossed for you and let us know the outcome!!

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Half update: I went in finally to the business banker, and first, although I do not meet the normal criteria, he made me a Chase Private Client! yay

Then, he submitted a special reconsideration request. He said the analyst would be different and better now that I'm a private client and we'll cross our fingers.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

SkinMatters - good luck. Remember, there is more than "one way to skin a cat."
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.