cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Amex hard pull a business app for existing customers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Amex hard pull a business app for existing customers?

The last two cards with Amex have been soft pulls for me, seems to be the trend lately for existing customers. I'm wanting to get a business card for my new side consultancy work and was wondering if they will do a hard pull for business accounts. My gut says they will. Anyone have any experience with this scenario?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Amex hard pull a business app for existing customers?

@Anonymous wrote:

The last two cards with Amex have been soft pulls for me, seems to be the trend lately for existing customers. I'm wanting to get a business card for my new side consultancy work and was wondering if they will do a hard pull for business accounts. My gut says they will. Anyone have any experience with this scenario?

Quite a few of us with existing AMEX accounts have been approved for a new business card via a SP.  Of course you can still get a HP but the trend for last 9 months or so has been SPs for new approvals.  In the end though even if you receive a HP, so what?  The effect on your credit of a HP is so minimal that they're almost meaningless.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently apped for 2 Amex Business cards, had my eye on one, didnt get a HP, so later the same day apped for another. Both instant approvals. 

Figured even if they HP me, it was two-for-one. 21 days later, still HP on file. 

I do think it depends on your current standing with Amex. My most recent SP from them probably showed my score in the low 800s, I PIF every month on all my cards (not just Amex) and I have quite a bit in a deposit account with Amex. Not sure how the latter truly effects, but I like to think it does Smiley Happy

For a data point, my 1st business card was a charge card, and was a HP. 

Message 3 of 13
PointLager
Established Contributor

Long time personal Amex member.

Applied for blue cash preferred during the limited time 20k promo. Has EX and Tu Frozen. Instant approval.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input! Applied for the Simplycash Plus and got an instant approval for 12K. No HP yet:-)

Message 5 of 13
PointLager
Established Contributor

Thanks foe letting us know. Does this mean Amex will do a new card for existing personal members with SP only? Or is it always HP If approved?
I’m at 6/24 and was just hoping to change my amex plat to schwab but no dice. They said I must apply for it. Thanks
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointLager wrote:
Thanks foe letting us know. Does this mean Amex will do a new card for existing personal members with SP only? Or is it always HP If approved?
I’m at 6/24 and was just hoping to change my amex plat to schwab but no dice. They said I must apply for it. Thanks

There have multiple reports for the last 9 monts or so of Amex doing SPs for new card approvals, both business and personal.  There also have been reports of people being HPed for an approval as well.  While the odds indicate it will be a SP if approved, the dreaded HP monster can always rear it's ugly head.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have spoke to Amex about this. Amex routinely does soft pulls monthly. (Experian) so if you apply for s new account, Amex will most likely use that report. I have 6 accounts. 2 Personal Platinum and 5 business accounts. When I apply, they rarely ever do a hard pull, unless the system denyed the application and you ask for a recon, they will most likely do a new hard pull. Amex is very strange on approvals. I've seen people with low 600's get approved and people with 700's get denied. I think they look more at do you pay balances in full, the amount of debt you're carrying, your income. Also, I was told that the same criteria is used for the green card and the Platinum card. I believe their "credit" card approvals use different criteria. I only have the Amex simply cash business credit cards. All of the other cards are charge cards. 2 Plum, 1 Green & 1 Gold Card.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted Amex to see if I could convert mine to the Benz Platinum. They told me the same that I have to apply for the new account. So, ether you would pay the $550 twice or cancel you're existing account and loose the account history. A plus side, I was told you can get bonus points again.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have money in Amex Savings, I have spoken to the Credit Department and they do not have access to that information, so I don't people you're deposits affect you're card accounts.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.