Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone use square?

tag
compassion101
Established Contributor

anyone use square?

Any feedback about processing fees, ease of use for Square?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: anyone use square?

Are you using it for retail or telephone/online?

I think Square is pretty simple, but does have somewhat high fee for telephone/online transaction.

Message 2 of 17
compassion101
Established Contributor

It would be used for both. Just a small side business, atm we use amazon for credit card processing. Too many horror stories about processing companies. Not suer how/who square works through and if they have alot of hidden fees or if it's a battle to get your money like it is with some processors I've heard of.

Message 3 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I just started using it last week. Previously had PayPal as my processor (ugh that really sucked getting the actual cash from them but wasn't that bad fee wise). I don't run a lot of cards but I had a client who was in need of paying on AMEX vs typical ACH that I prefer. Big charge, nearly $95,000 and I must say it went flawlessly. Cash in bank the next day before noon less the fees (and yes, that was a whopping $2,600 fee so they must like me now after my first swipe). 

No additional fees besides the 2.75% on each swipe. If you are a non swiper it's a bit more at 3.5% +.15 cents I believe. The card reader is a breeze to use and you can carry in your pocket. Software worked great on my iPhone. Web site works well and I am a Mac user. 

Good luck - I don't think you can go wrong with Square. 

Message 4 of 17
compassion101
Established Contributor

In your account the next day? Wow. How long was paypal taking for you?

How does square know where to send the money and does it go through an intermediary system or bank?

Message 5 of 17
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

I can also say any transaction M-F before 6pm I get the money overnight. Its a great service the fee is more then most other companies but the ease of use is unbeatable. I've charged up to $24,000  several times already with no issues. 

P.S. I HATE Paypal I saw it mentioned somewhere around here.

Message 6 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

The advantage of Square is there is no other fee associated with it (no statement fee, equipment fee, etc). Perfect for small business.

Square now has $275 fixed monthly plan (0% swipe fee). Limitations are no more than $400 per transaction and $250K annual revenue. If you run more than $10,000 per month it is a fantasitc plan.

Message 7 of 17
compassion101
Established Contributor

Yeah, it just seems so great for small busineses. Reasonable fees, quick payment, and no hidden fees.

I've dealt with processors who delay payments for potential chargebacks, come up with ludicrous fees, etc. Square just sounds like a dream compared to the usual system for a small business.

Message 8 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I love Square but I did have some issues early on when I ran several transactions that totaled over $18k, I ended up with about $8k locked down for a bit... Eventually I got ironed hand and it was released to account next day.  I'm shocked they had no delay on AMEX but I assume that was an AMEX fix not a Square! I bet that sent Square people running for the phone to call amex.

Anyway never had issues before... I recently got PayPal and like it but it takes 2-4 days usually depending on day to get PayPal money to checking so that might be to much if I had to have money quicker, Square is VERY quick and almost ALWAYS in my account next day if ran before a certain time.

Let me state just in case confusion - PayPal is not HOLDING the money, it's just a matter of how fast PayPal transfers into bank, still have not figured out WHY they can't do it same day into account considering all other things are basically but no hold.

Message 9 of 17
baronofthenorth
New Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I just started using it last week. Previously had PayPal as my processor (ugh that really sucked getting the actual cash from them but wasn't that bad fee wise). I don't run a lot of cards but I had a client who was in need of paying on AMEX vs typical ACH that I prefer. Big charge, nearly $95,000 and I must say it went flawlessly. Cash in bank the next day before noon less the fees (and yes, that was a whopping $2,600 fee so they must like me now after my first swipe). 

No additional fees besides the 2.75% on each swipe. If you are a non swiper it's a bit more at 3.5% +.15 cents I believe. The card reader is a breeze to use and you can carry in your pocket. Software worked great on my iPhone. Web site works well and I am a Mac user. 

Good luck - I don't think you can go wrong with Square. 

I used to use Paypal, but the inability to resolve a problem in a proper and efficient manner (account still restricted 4 years later!) made me swear that company (along with ebay) off for eternity...

EQ FICO 695 (4/26/2012)
TU FAKO CK 723
Lender Pulls (for mortgage) 12/03/2012 - 698 EQ, 729 TU, 721 EX
Business Cards: Discover Business Miles and US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards
Personal Cards: Capital One, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon, Wells Fargo Rewards, Amex Zync NPSL, Target, Chevron/Texaco Store Card and VISA, CareCredit
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.