Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

tag
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

• Are you aware of the changes that came about on February 22, 2010 as a result of the Credit CARD Act of 2009?

• Have you heard that FHA will be tightening up on lending requirements over the next few months?

Download the Credit CARD Act and new FHA rules PDF (below) to learn about these upcoming changes that are sure to affect all credit card holders and many future mortgage applicants.  And let us know what you think!

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

Thank you, Barry!

This is a very handy guide to the upcoming changes.  Beats the heck out of reading through a lot of legalese!

I've got a question on one portion of the new law, though.  With the payment date having to stay the same day each month, wouldn't that mean that the banks would likely change the statement date every month, to avoid giving up even 1 cent in potential interest income? 

If true, that makes it a little tougher for those of us who don't like balances reporting...especially if the lender doesn't disclose the statement date in advance.

Any insights on this?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 48
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

Thanks for posting this. I just saved it to my hard drive.
Message 3 of 48
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Thanks Barry!!  I'm certainly liking the sound of this...especially the cc rules.  I know the banks aren't too happy, but I guess with certain customers, as always, they can close your acct at their disgression...as well as balance chase.  They'll still do what they can get away with! 

For now, I'm happy with the cards & such that I have.  Not one had RJ'd, BC'd or AA'd me at all.  In fact, nearly all cave me a CLI & kept me at approx 10% apr.  In these times...I cannot complain!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 48
Eurosooner7
New Contributor

HUGE step for consumers. Glad to hear this.
FICO Score challenge 2011

1. GOAL 750

2. CURRENT 687 695 679

3 PLANS Decrease UTIL %..Im currently at 75% EEEEKKK!!!
Message 5 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this new rule also apply to Bank Visa Debit Cards?  If anyone knows please let me know.  Thanks! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You Barry !
Message 7 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 Credit cards. 3 paid off in full. All 4 sent me letters informing me that my interest on the cards was going up to 29.9%. Haven't been late in over 3-4 years and always pay above my minumum. I feel like I just got jacked!
Message 8 of 48
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

Thank you for posting this Barry! This is very helpful... I will be sure to pass along the link.
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 48
WD
Valued Member

Great post / info!  Thanks.

It's at least a start in the right direction.

Side note... I didn't think you could get an FHA loan now unless you had a score of 620.  I plan on applying for a FHA mortgage soon and the info I've seen pointed to 620 being the minimum (FYI, my score is higher).

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.