cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

pjtrader,

Introductory or teaser rates must last for a minimum of 6 months according to the act. The 12 month rule applies only to the standard rates on the card. 

In response to another post, where concerns about closing an account hurting a credit score: Since the account remains on the report for an extended period of time, the age factor on the credit scoring models is not affected, HOWEVER, the debt utilization ratio can increase which can result in a dramatic drop in score. For people that are carrying balances, the total of the balances divided by the total of the credit limits on all of the cards gives you your debt utilization ratio. A high ratio can result in a lower score. By closing an account, you have not lowered the total of your balances, however you have lowered the credit available to you. This means the ratio will increase. As I tell all of my clients, the best way to keep a score high is to keep your credit card balances at zero. 

Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: myFICO Insider's Guide to 2010 credit card reform and new FHA mortgage rules

Regarding FHA...

Just from the start and it gets on my nerve... Upfront MIP to 2.25%... !!!  I remember 2008 Upfront MIP changed 3 times. and it gets worst and worst by the year. Bank's love this..., The more you pay in fees to the government - The less money you would have to pay towards the principal - The more interest you'll end paying them. If you wish to refinance.... get ready for more of the same.

Message 22 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks always_asking, good info I was not able to find elsewhere.
Message 23 of 48
phillip18

Since universal default is no allowed any more does that mean ones creditors will not be able to look at one's credit, or simple not suposed to?  Some (Amex) check every six months.  A credit freeze should now mean no soft or hard inq. 
Message 24 of 48
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

@phillip18 wrote:
Since universal default is no allowed any more does that mean ones creditors will not be able to look at one's credit, or simple not suposed to?  Some (Amex) check every six months.  A credit freeze should now mean no soft or hard inq. 

As a creditor they can still pull your credit - to check if you continue to meet their "standards". They just can't look at late payments to jack your rate. I suppose it's possible that they can give you a credit line decrease though.

Message 25 of 48
ABattle
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know when we will receive communication from our current credit card companies about the changes? 

Such as the set due date every month?

How do you opt out?

Over the limit fee's?  How does the consent thing work?

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for posting this!...i have just finshed reading the rules and it seems very helpful! thanks!

Message 27 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! This is my first visit to this forum, how do i see the forum like a chat room?

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! How does tis forum work?

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Barry, Can you help me to download your post? Thanks!

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.