Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Approval and Dilemna

tag
Alvy14
Established Member

AMEX Approval and Dilemna

Questions for the board:

Approved last week for BCP @ $7500, will be excited for the 3xCLI 61st day.

Had an old AMEX, maybe 9-10 years ago, but my MSD is showing 2014 on the new card.

1) Should I wait until the 3x CLI to try to get backdated? My fear is that if they "find" the old account, it may and probably did, have delinquencies.

2) Would adding wife (poor credit) as an AU have any effect on the 3xCLI? I just don't want any negatives associated to the account at all.  My credit report is completely clean and about 7 years AAoA.

Thanks all.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Approval and Dilemna

I'm in the same situation. I had a green Amex in '90 that was closed and most likely charged off. I was recently approved for a BCE and once the card arrived I called to get the MSD changed. Rep on the phone said she couldn't find the account. I was looking at my account online today and did an online chat asking for the MSD to be changed. Rep found my account and changed the date. Online it's now saying Member Since 1990 and I have new cards in the mail, got the email that they had shipped out earlier. 

I'm 99% sure adding an AU won't hurt you at all. The account will show up on your wife's report but nothing from hers should show up on yours.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 2 of 6
Alvy14
Established Member

Thank you.  I guess once you attempt the 3xCLI we will know for sure whether having the old delinquent account added to increase MSD would affect you.

Message 3 of 6
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@Alvy14 wrote:

Thank you.  I guess once you attempt the 3xCLI we will know for sure whether having the old delinquent account added to increase MSD would affect you.

I would just wait until you can create your online account and then you can check your MSD date. My cards say 2014, but my account was backdated to 94 with no problem....I burned them for 6k way back when. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 6
Alvy14
Established Member

Thanks. My question is more for the 3xCLI, would reminding them of this past delinquent account be a bad decision until after the CLI day.
Not letting sleeping dogs lie, per se.
I guess the question is really unknown. Curious if anyone has had experience.
I've read about "past delinquencies on an old account" being a cause for denial on day 61.
Message 5 of 6
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@Alvy14 wrote:
Thanks. My question is more for the 3xCLI, would reminding them of this past delinquent account be a bad decision until after the CLI day.
Not letting sleeping dogs lie, per se.
I guess the question is really unknown. Curious if anyone has had experience.
I've read about "past delinquencies on an old account" being a cause for denial on day 61.

If that's the case, I would wait.  Smiley Wink 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.