Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima

tag
Mumford1310
Established Member

AMEX Optima

I just wanted to say there's hope after obtaining an AMEX optima card. After 5 years of good payment history, I cautiously closed my AMEX optima card because the EO told me repeatedly I could not have a recovery product and be approved for another other AMEX product.

I closed my account on 12/5 and applied 12/7. Initially, my application was declined! I called the EO office and after 1 hour, my Blue Cash Everyday AMEX was approved!!!!

There's life and hope after your AMEX optima.

Starting Score: EQ 656 EXP696 TU 677
Current Score: EQ 656 EXP696 TU 677
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Optima

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 14
John060675
Valued Contributor

Congratulations.  I am sorry you had to close the Optima though, since I have read on the forum recently that there has been successes with people keeping their Optima open and getting another AMEX card.  Of course, there is no need to have the Optima open now.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Mumford1310 wrote:
I just wanted to say there's hope after obtaining an AMEX optima card. After 5 years of good payment history, I cautiously closed my AMEX optima card because the EO told me repeatedly I could not have a recovery product and be approved for another other AMEX product.

I closed my account on 12/5 and applied 12/7. Initially, my application was declined! I called the EO office and after 1 hour, my Blue Cash Everyday AMEX was approved!!!!

There's life and hope after your AMEX optima.

Congrats! Im really happy for you.

What was the reason for the intial denial and what did you tell EO that change their decision?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 14
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  Been in your same shoes. 

Amex was the only one that gave me a card ( The Optima ) when I had problems, and started fixing them. I'm very thankful for them.

I kept my Optima for 7 years. Less than a year from closing my optima, I have two credit lines with AMEX totaling 10k.

Congrats! Your new card will grow with you, Take good care of it. 

Message 5 of 14
Longroad
Established Contributor

Not familiar with the Optima. Just declined on app recon with AMEX. Is that something you can request?

Message 6 of 14
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats!!

Message 7 of 14
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

Not familiar with the Optima. Just declined on app recon with AMEX. Is that something you can request?

If you get into some credit trouble with amex, and pay them in full, they may invite you into the optima program, thats the only way in I know of.

Message 8 of 14
sjt
Senior Contributor

@WolfMan wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

If you get into some credit trouble with amex, and pay them in full, they may invite you into the optima program, thats the only way in I know of.

+ 1

The Optima Cars is the Oasis/Recovery Card program where you payoff a defaulted balance in full with Amex and they will issue you an Optima Card. The limits are generally 50% percent of the defaulted balance between $500 and $5000.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 9 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sjt wrote:

@WolfMan wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

+ 1

The Optima Cars is the Oasis/Recovery Card program where you payoff a defaulted balance in full with Amex and they will issue you an Optima Card. The limits are generally 50% percent of the defaulted balance between $500 and $5000.

+2

The Optima recovery product is not a CC that can be requested if your application was declined, unfortunately.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.