cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG recon success with super thin file!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PRG recon success with super thin file!

First of all I wanted to briefly thank everyone on this forum for providing all of the incredible advice, tips, and information that I've been eagerly absorbing for the past week. I've only recently become interested in building my credit after many years of boring, unrewarded debit card spending. I also wanted to give hope to my fellow FICO fanatics and AMEX enthusiasts by relating my recent experience getting approved for my first prime card through a recon with the executive office (a process I never would have even thought to attempt before finding this forum!). 

Briefly, I applied online and was greeted with an instant denial. Woof. I immediately called the executive office number and was quickly transferred to the new accounts department. The rep I spoke with informed me that the reason for my denial, despite a 701 Experian FICO and no baddies, was that I didn't have any recent revolving account history (most recent was a joint Best Buy card for $5k opened in 2001 and closed in 2005 with perfect payment history). I asked him if my application could be reconsidered and he said it could be sent to "Level 2" for manual review, however I would incur a second HP. I thanked him and said I would call back after deciding if I wanted to proceed. 

I then called the executive office again and spoke with Jessica who was gracious enough to listen to my passionate personal appeal. When I had finished she told me that she would forward the application along for manual review and promised to call me back within 24-48 hours with a decision. Of course being the impatient type I obsessively checked and re-checked my application status until, just now, the status changed from "in progress" to "approved"! Not quite Homer's Odyssey, but hopefully my story will be helpful to anyone looking for some confidence before AMEX apping. 

Thanks again to all of the unsung heroes and heroines of the myFICO Forums! Happy apping!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG recon success with super thin file!

@Anonymous wrote:

First of all I wanted to briefly thank everyone on this forum for providing all of the incredible advice, tips, and information that I've been eagerly absorbing for the past week. I've only recently become interested in building my credit after many years of boring, unrewarded debit card spending. I also wanted to give hope to my fellow FICO fanatics and AMEX enthusiasts by relating my recent experience getting approved for my first prime card through a recon with the executive office (a process I never would have even thought to attempt before finding this forum!). 

Briefly, I applied online and was greeted with an instant denial. Woof. I immediately called the executive office number and was quickly transferred to the new accounts department. The rep I spoke with informed me that the reason for my denial, despite a 701 Experian FICO and no baddies, was that I didn't have any recent revolving account history (most recent was a joint Best Buy card for $5k opened in 2001 and closed in 2005 with perfect payment history). I asked him if my application could be reconsidered and he said it could be sent to "Level 2" for manual review, however I would incur a second HP. I thanked him and said I would call back after deciding if I wanted to proceed. 

I then called the executive office again and spoke with Jessica who was gracious enough to listen to my passionate personal appeal. When I had finished she told me that she would forward the application along for manual review and promised to call me back within 24-48 hours with a decision. Of course being the impatient type I obsessively checked and re-checked my application status until, just now, the status changed from "in progress" to "approved"! Not quite Homer's Odyssey, but hopefully my story will be helpful to anyone looking for some confidence before AMEX apping. 

Thanks again to all of the unsung heroes and heroines of the myFICO Forums! Happy apping!

Welcome to the forums!!!

CONGRATS!

Welcome to the AMEX family!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 11
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

wow Congrats!!!

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

First ever Amex recon?!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats !!  AMEX approvals are quirky sometimes, even if you have good FICO scores.    Nice job on the recon !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repo-ed wrote:

First ever Amex recon?!

This is my first recon with anyone! I'm not sure what the overall success rate is for Amex recons, but from what I've seen with other forum users it's at least hit or miss (but then again all of this credit business seems a bit like a crapshoot to me!)

Message 6 of 11
creditballer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats to you. I called as u did and also faxed recon letters and CR's and was still denied. Last CSR i spoke too was helpful..advised score was good 743-TU (they pulled EX about 3 times) and lastly TU...had a few late mtg pmts, but GW'd them w/Wells Fargo.. Rep told me to apply for the Green after 30 days (Jan 15th)....basically said it looks like I will get it. I want AMEX becuz I had them in 87 (young n dumb) went to CO..so it will help my history...I'm glad u had a successful recon. Njoy

Last App Oct 2013...applied and received Amex PRG and Blue Sky!
FICO -Walmart = 779
Credit Karma = 781
EX-766, EQ 772, TU-759
Goal: 800
Message 7 of 11
KS13
Established Member

Congrats! A few friends I had that got the 7-10 day wait period called the recon number and even after begging the CSR were still denied. You got lucky!

Message 8 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Congratttt.....

You are very lucky man ........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Congrats and welome to the AMEX family. Treat them well and they will do the same

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.