Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3x approved - I'm shocked!

tag
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Amex 3x approved - I'm shocked!

I'm in total shock for many reasons.

1) I had a bad account with Amex in the late 90s. Not for a ton, and it was a corporate card - but I was worried even though I was initially approved it might come back to bite me as I've read about that on here. But nope did not have any impact. Even got my card backdated.

2) Utilization - we are doing lots of reno on our fixer upper we bought 2 years ago. Mostly paying as we go - but had a fence install recently so I have 5k on Lowes. And then, this past month, we had an electrician friend visit so I had to buy a ton of stuff for him while he was briefly here and able to do the work. That was another couple k across my cards. All be told my utilization has been running about 30% (I have 5.99% on Lowes, and the rest on 0% until end of 2014)

I've been using Amex heavily as I have my DH on there for AU purposes and he does most of the groceries and such, so this has become our everyday card. First statement was around 400 in purchases. Paid 100 before statement close and the rest after statement close. Second statement - had around 3300 in charges and paid $1100 before statement closed. So I have 2k that reported onto the statement as of yesterday.

3) This is the most shocking. I had a collection report JUST after getting my Amex. This account should not be reporting. I paid the OC directly (was a cell bill from when we changed carriers). Never heard a word from the CA, they just popped up as UNPAID AFTER I paid OC. I disputed, and it came off TU, but EQ and EX just updated to Paid. Still nothing from the CA. So I sent them a scathing letting cmrrr 2 weeks ago. No word back yet, but if they don't delete soon I will be turning over to my attorney.

So - I was trying to wait until scummy CA deleted and Amex would resoft. The last time they softed the CA was at least showing paid. But I thought for SURE this would be the dealbreaker. But I figured it might take me at least 90 days to get it cleared up so no harm in getting a denial.

I was AMAZED when I got an instantaneous approval for the full amount requested 3600-10800. Both DH and I had starbucks for our first purchase - due to the old tale of first purchase impact - maybe starbucks saved the day! (that isnt in the 3x guide hahahaha) And we are running most of our daily charges through it so maybe Amex figured the limit wasn't enough. And I did pay first statement in full, and prepaid a big chunk of the 2nd statement before it cut knowing this was coming up. Also, I have other cards that have 0 reporting...such as my credit union card with a 5k limit I don't use. I also did update my income on the request form from personal (52k) to household (75k) not sure if that made any difference.

So there is hope for those who don't have the "perfect" profile. This is now my highest CL with my 2nd being lowes at 7500, Home Depot at 7k, credit union 5k, Citi 5k (also use pretty heavily), Cap One 1250,  Chase Amazon 1k, and the baby toy Target 200.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex 3x approved - I'm shocked!

Congrats WTG

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

WOW!!! Congratulations!!! This is great information!!!  Thanks for sharing your story!

Message 3 of 11
Irisa
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 11
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 6 of 11
awp317
Frequent Contributor

wait, were allowed to use household income on our CLI requests? Congrats btw! I wish amex would let me up my loly little 2k with them, They seem to be the least genorous to me revolver wise.  I tried to up the limit after 12 months and it was denied saying that my platinum had a set limit (which now it doenst so IDK)  i was a little annoyed that one card made the decision for another. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 7 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing! 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats and good you pulled the trigger Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 11
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Awp317 re household income. ..I asked via online chat and was told it is acceptable. My husband and I do have joint bank accounts.. and trust me I have access to every penny lol.

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.