cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex ... pending ... boom! ... approved ... HUH?

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Amex ... pending ... boom! ... approved ... HUH?

I was going to garden for six months before applying for my first Amex -- a BCE. But I threw myself into the path of temptation for the one and only card I still hanker for (didn't even seriously resist).

Applied for the BCE online ...

Got the dreaded "pending" message (telling me they'd notify me in writing within 14 days) ...

Then, minutes later, in the time it took me to find their application status page ...

Boom! Approved.

Happy, happy, happy! Don't get me wrong, I'm happy. I have arrived.

But really. Tell me. Please. What could they possibly have learned about me in those couple of minutes between "pending" and "congratulations"?

I know it's like trying to read tea leaves or whatever, but I figure you veterans of the credit wars probably have some insight into what's going on in those minutes. Are they pulling more bureaus? Handing the app off to a smarter computer? Casting the I Ching? What? It seemed far too fast for any human review.

Thoughts? Guesses? Insider dope?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex ... pending ... boom! ... approved ... HUH?

Message 2 of 22
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Lexie! I admit, this was a pretty big deal. It's nice not to have to celebrate it alone.

Message 3 of 22
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Don't forget to ask for the 3x CLI in 61 days time!

Message 4 of 22
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

Congrats, what are your stats in terms of Fico Score, number of inquires on your file and current utilization?

Message 5 of 22
RSCo
Established Contributor

Its a system error on their status site.....  I also got the same "pending" response, and then went to their status page where it says I too was approved... Must be a bug in their system....  LOL  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy  Congrats to ya... 

BTW - my Fico is..

EQ - 708

EX - 695

TU - 665

Prob even lower as I just applied for 4 new cards in the past 2 days and got them all, PLUS a 2,200.00 CL bump from Citi... 

Date ReceivedCardStatus of ApplicationNext Step
02/12/13
DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer
$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 6 of 22
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@NewYorkGuy wrote:

Congrats, what are your stats in terms of Fico Score, number of inquires on your file and current utilization?

Eq (MyFico) 766, TU (CK FAKO) 758, Ex ?

Inquiries on TU: 3, on Eq and Ex, 1 each (all within last three months)

Utilization 19%

AAoA: 5 years

Most recent credit opened this month

No baddies

Very modest income, though.

Message 7 of 22
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Ohhh. A bug in the system. Yeah, that makes sense. My best guess would have been that they initially pulled from one bureau but because my income is so unimpressive it triggered automatic pulls from the others before approval. (I aways think of Amex as being for the big guys.) But a bug in the system makes even more sense.

BTW, I'll report back once I learn which bureau(s) they pulled.

And oh yes, those 61 day CLIs. I've never had one of those before. I expect I'll be nervous as a cat when I ask.

Message 8 of 22
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@RSCo wrote:

Prob even lower as I just applied for 4 new cards in the past 2 days and got them all, PLUS a 2,200.00 CL bump from Citi... 

Date ReceivedCardStatus of ApplicationNext Step
02/12/13
DELTA SKYMILES CREDIT CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS
Approved
Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days.
If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

Congrats to you, too, RSCo! That's quite a haul. I thought Amex hated seeing recent pulls, which is why I was afraid of jumping in now. But you got a lot of love in a short time from everybody.

Message 9 of 22
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice going, Congrats on the approval!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.