Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Walmart Store card to Walmart Discover card question. -sorry-

tag
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another Walmart Store card to Walmart Discover card question. -sorry-

@emptypockets wrote:

I think that for this particular card, you need to use it regularly (i.e. monthly)  to get increases. I was using mine every 2-3 months, spending $50-100 at a time, then PIF. I think this is why it took me so long to get CLI'd to $4.6k and the upgrade. With other GE Cards (Dillard's AMEX, for example), with the same amount of use the card went from a $700CL to $7.5k in just over a year.

I have read many posts where they turn down CLI's for "not enough experience at current credit level" which is code for you haven't been using the card.

Makes sense, i wasnt sure what that stupid message meant but i assumed usage was it

Message 21 of 43
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@AF_23 wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

At the Walmart Credit card site, my FICO is 699.

well my walmart fico was 738 when i got the card. 

and was only approved for the store version. 

from what ive read some people see upgrades in a year some havent in 3

ymmv but i wish the best for you. 

and btw ive been getting discover pre approvals up the ying yang lateley.

Really ? I had a store card but closed it a while back. I applied again recently because i wanted a Discover option and i got it with 680ish TU at the time. I had the store card for a year and got no upgrade though

Really? wow... Maybe I need to call and ask for PC.. but I'll wait, I just got approve from chase freedom and cap cash card.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 22 of 43
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

It's weird reading this because when I applied to Walmart (just for the free monthly FICO score lmao)...they didn't give me a store card...they automatically approved me for the Discover card. I guess they try to get you the discover first and if they can't...they can get you approved for the store card. I don't think a phone call would hurt. Just call them and tell them you'd like to upgrade to their discover card and most of the time...to keep their customers happy and if you have an awesome history of paying on time...they might give you discover! I have a feeling they might take your CL away if you upgrade...I've heard some stories about that with Macys. In hosue CL is one thing but Amex CL is something else.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 23 of 43
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@AF_23 wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

Really ? I had a store card but closed it a while back. I applied again recently because i wanted a Discover option and i got it with 680ish TU at the time. I had the store card for a year and got no upgrade though

Really? wow... Maybe I need to call and ask for PC.. but I'll wait, I just got approve from chase freedom and cap cash card.

Yeh, i had 9 INQ's on my TU at the time as well. They did not tell me i was approved right away (online), but i called in and apparently they needed verification of my address and that was that. They forget to tell me it was a Discover till i asked as well lol.

Message 24 of 43
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@AF_23 wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

@AF_23 wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

Yeh, i had 9 INQ's on my TU at the time as well. They did not tell me i was approved right away (online), but i called in and apparently they needed verification of my address and that was that. They forget to tell me it was a Discover till i asked as well lol.

OMG THEY JUST DID THAT TO ME! LMAO! I applied to the card like some weeks ago and I called now to inquire about it but I had to verify some things first before they could approve it. After the card was approved, I asked if it was the in house card or Discover and she just laughed and said "It's Discover of course!!" Smh.

Message 25 of 43
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

@AF_23 wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

@AF_23 wrote:

@creditnocash wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

OMG THEY JUST DID THAT TO ME! LMAO! I applied to the card like some weeks ago and I called now to inquire about it but I had to verify some things first before they could approve it. After the card was approved, I asked if it was the in house card or Discover and she just laughed and said "It's Discover of course!!" Smh.

Congrats. You gotta love GE customer service lol. The only reason i called instead of assuming a denial because of the 7-10 message was someone here mentioned our exact instances happening in another Walmart thread.

Message 26 of 43
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Yea. I called the backdoor number to Walmart CS and they asked me if the app was for Walmart or Sams Club...Walmart of course...after some verification...it was approved. I was expecting a denial letter to be totally honest b/c I've applied for a lot of credit in the last month and I had applied for Walmart weeks ago and they never sent me a notice or even an email. LOL. App was in identity verification process the whole time smh. I'll probably never use it but I love the free FICO incentive just for having a card..my credit can take a temporary hit.. Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 43
DoItDiva
Valued Member

When I logged into my Walmart account online to pay my bill, I had the Discover upgrade message.  I accepted and my credit limit went form $675 to $4000.  I was shocked, my Transunion score is 706.  I was approved for the Discover More card in June with the same credit limit $4000.  I've had my Walmart store card for a year and a half with only one requested credit limit increase from $500 to $675.

Message 28 of 43
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@DoItDiva wrote:

When I logged into my Walmart account online to pay my bill, I had the Discover upgrade message.  I accepted and my credit limit went form $675 to $4000.  I was shocked, my Transunion score is 706.  I was approved for the Discover More card in June with the same credit limit $4000.  I've had my Walmart store card for a year and a half with only one requested credit limit increase from $500 to $675.

Wow congrats!! It's good to hear they are handing out the upgrade after only a year and a half.  I have had mine for 1 year exactly,  I can't wait.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 29 of 43
westo12
Established Contributor

Thank you guys for sharing your Walmart stories, it encouraged me to app a couple of days ago and I was approved instantly.  $500 / Store card, but I'll take it!  $22k debt, $4k cc @ 78% util (will be paying all of that next month anyway), 6 inq last 2 years, 6 unpaid collection accts, 1 pd c/o, 1 unpaid c/o.  

Pointers about use to obtain the CLI's are appreciated as well.  Hope to come back in a year or so with a much larger limit and the Discover card also!

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.