cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apparently You Get Great CLI With Discover For Carrying a Balance!

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Apparently You Get Great CLI With Discover For Carrying a Balance!

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

So my boyfriend got a Discover card a little less than a year ago (will be a full year May 18th), which was a counteroffer for the card he originally applied for (not sure exactly what it was, could have been the More). Also not sure of the terms, but considering it was his first real credit card after having only a car loan and student loan report, him and I were both thrilled at the prospect of building his credit. They gave him a $1250 limit to start.

Unfortunately, he did use the card for some moderately big ticket items for his collection, and he makes the monthly minimum payments each month...and sometimes uses the card for going out to eat and such. So his balance is usually anywhere between $700-$900 every month, obviously lower when he's not charging additional purchases to the card. Though i can't remember the exact timing, he's gone from $1250-->$1500-->$1900 to just recently today $3000! That's over 2x increase within a year! Without even asking!

Discover sure likes people who revolve balances Smiley Tongue

That's great...but I would not advocate carrying balances on a card if it is not necessary, or just in the off chance that they will give you a CLI. I never carry any balances, so if that means I will not get a CLI, then so be it. I will of course request one...Smiley Wink

Trust me, that's my theory, too Smiley Tongue my boyfriend isn't as credit savvy as much as I try to teach him...

And i'm certainly not advocating carrying a balance at all, unless under a 0% intro period on purchases/BT...merely stating an interesting observation Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Interesting! Ive been carrying a bal on my IT(0% for 15 mos on bts and purchases-IT was a Motiva!)
Went from 4000-4750 at 6 months.

Get him to get BCE; it's a boooomb card!
And looks like you got 'im in checkhahha😳👍👍😄😏

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 12 of 14
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Interesting! Ive been carrying a bal on my IT(0% for 15 mos on bts and purchases-IT was a Motiva!)
Went from 4000-4750 at 6 months.

Get him to get BCE; it's a boooomb card!
And looks like you got 'im in checkhahha😳👍👍😄😏

Good luck!

HAHA! Well, in some respects I have him in check! And other instances, he has me in check Smiley Tongue

So overall it balances out to an even relationship Smiley Happy there's some things I'm great a balancing, and others he's simply better at. Not to mention I'm a complete left brain and he's a complete right brain!

I honestly can't wait to see his score boost from paying down that card and a few of his loans!!

Message 13 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ah, dat's cute 😄

I'm always the more finance savvy one when I'm dating. LOL
It's a good date when you both whip out the same credit card imo! Haha :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.