cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Citi TY or zales credit through citi?

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Apply for Citi TY or zales credit through citi?

I don't know if they look at your internal history with the HD card.  

If it were me, I would apply for the card you want more first, i.e., the TY card.  If you get the limit you want, great.  If not, then you try for the Zales card.  I'm not all that inquiry adverse, so that would be the route I'd take.  Of course, if you have an upcoming mortgage or something like that, you might not want to do that.  But it seems like that is a couple years off for you, so no worries there.  

I believe Citi restricts you to one application per week.  Not sure if that would apply to a store card, but you might want to wait 8 days between applications to be safe if you go this route.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You might have better luck at Jared's or Kay's for a higher limit.
Message 12 of 21
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

I would personally apply for the TY card first before the zales,  how is your income? 

Citi is sensitive in regards to debt to income and how much credit they grant, if you are good here, there's a chance you could get a higher limit than the rest of your cards, but Idk if it will be 7/8K.

I've heard that Jared is generous with Cl's, but, Most jewelery stores also offer layaway plans for 12 months, so if you were to get a low starting limit with the TY card, perhaps 6-12 months from now after getting an icrease you could pay off the rest of the layaway as well?

Staring Scores:Transunion-636 Equifax-618 Experian- 640 (8/12):
Current Scores:Transunion-717 Equifax-(?) Experian 726(as of 11/18/13):

Goal 760 Across the Board:

Message 13 of 21
Akosua
Established Member

My personal income is 95k. My husband's is 30k +commission so he makes more but that's dependant on commission. I do have an auto loan with a monthly 750 payment including my disability and life premiums on the autoloan , student loan at 200/month and Cc debt totalling about $1500. Usually don't carry balances more than 2K at a time which I can pay off if need be. 

Chase Freedom-3.5K, NY MCU- 500, Chase Sapphire Preferred- 5.7K, Discover IT- 2K, AMEX BCE-6K, Citi simplicity- 7K
Scores: Equifax SW- 719 (Nov 2013)

Message 14 of 21
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

Ok, So your DTI is excellent than, my suggestion would be apply for the Citi TY if anything, or place on layaway. 

your income, and credit is well within reason to apply, you do have the two newer accounts, but have maintained small/zero balances.

good luck with whatever choice you make. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 21
Akosua
Established Member

Thank you!!! I'll keep you posted. I'll wait to apply when my chase sapphire card reports a 0balance this week.
Chase Freedom-3.5K, NY MCU- 500, Chase Sapphire Preferred- 5.7K, Discover IT- 2K, AMEX BCE-6K, Citi simplicity- 7K

Message 16 of 21
Akosua
Established Member

Update: so decided to go ahead and apply for the Citi duplicity card since the thank you card was taken off the website it seemed and the thank you preferred introductory period was only 12months at the 0apr promotion. I would have loved to take advantage of the points earned by making such a huge purchase but oh well...
Did the app online and got approved for only $2500 with a high Apr after the introductory period. Was so bummed but then I fig'd I'll app for the zales card too and since they were both by Citi it cld be just one HP. Zales auto approved for 2k. My heart sank. Thought my dreams of getting a really nice ring were fading fast. 2 days later decided go call Citi Credit Recon Number 605 331 7169. I called the recon number above and was told they cld only review it after pulling another cr. I agreed.She asked why i wanted the cli. I told her the truth....wanted to buy a ring and take advantage of the 0 apr. She asked me what limit I wanted. I froze at that point and said 7k bcos I was afraid I will be denied but if I got approved with the zales card I cld make the purchase. Anyway, got voicemail today saying that my request has been approved for the full 7k limit.

Now my biggest dilemma. I'm getting cold feet about the ring bcos my fear of debt is kicking in! Apart from the car thay I've financed I've never made such a big purchase on credit!

Message 17 of 21
Akosua
Established Member

Meant *simplicity * excuse my phone typos!

Message 18 of 21
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

Awesome, nice recon too! So you now have your highest cl and the ability to buy what you wanr, you do have a good income though so I'd just set up an amount you feel comfortable paying automatically and get it paid off.

Congrats , definitly a big credit and life step.Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
Akosua
Established Member

Thank you. Yes that's my highest limit card. That's a great idea of setting up the auto payments to match the pay off time. Thank you. I learn something new on this site every time!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.