Contributor
toiletbowl69er

Applying after an Amex approval

So I applied for the Amex blue sky on 10/28. Got instantly denied but on 11/16 I got an email saying I was approved. My question is how long should I wait before applying for the chase sapphire preferred? Does chase not like giving cc approvals if they see a recent account was just opened? Should I wait 3 months or something?

Capital One Platinum MasterCard | $2,000 | 05/08
Macy's Store Card | $1,500 | 09/09
Chase Freedom Visa | $3,100 | 11/11
Discover It | $750 | 03/12
American Express BCE | $1,000 | 11/12
Chase SP Visa Signature | $8,000 | 12/12
Established Contributor
distantarray

Re: Applying after an Amex approval

they don't like to be the first one to give you a $5,000 limit for the CSP but you never know.. personally would wait til 61 days for CLI to Amex to get it beyond $5,000 then apply you'll have a better chance.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Contributor
toiletbowl69er

distantarray wrote:

they don't like to be the first one to give you a $5,000 limit for the CSP but you never know.. personally would wait til 61 days for CLI to Amex to get it beyond $5,000 then apply you'll have a better chance.

That's what I was thinking. But I do have a chase checking account, my freedom card is a year old this month and my local chase agent told me he could have some leverage in me getting approved (of course he could have just been saying that so I would apply)

Blogger
HiLine

If you've been banking with Chase for a while and have significant assets with them (say totaling 10k or so), you'd have a really good chance. In this case the personal banker can definitely help, by putting a note in your application that you're a preferred customer. The Amex credit limit doesn't matter much, since it's not reported.

Revelate

[ Edited ]

HiLine wrote:

If you've been banking with Chase for a while and have significant assets with them (say totaling 10k or so), you'd have a really good chance. In this case the personal banker can definitely help, by putting a note in your application that you're a preferred customer. The Amex credit limit doesn't matter much, since it's not reported.

That's specific to their charge cards; blue sky is a revolver in this case and does have the CL reported.

Beyond that I definitely agree with you; though I'd add that it appears Chase and Amex are both scrambling for customers and that includes taking ones from each other.  Normally I'd say apply now, but I think if the CSP is the goal, trying for the CLI and then applying with the tradeline reporting would likely lead to a higher approval chance.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
toiletbowl69er

Revelate wrote:

HiLine wrote:

That's specific to their charge cards; blue sky is a revolver in this case and does have the CL reported.

Beyond that I definitely agree with you; though I'd add that it appears Chase and Amex are both scrambling for customers and that includes taking ones from each other.  Normally I'd say apply now, but I think if the CSP is the goal, trying for the CLI and then applying with the tradeline reporting would likely lead to a higher approval chance.

That's what I figured. Ill most likely wait the 2 months I've had a number of inquiries these last two months from cli and Amex. But if I decided to apply now would it hurt my chances that I just opened the Amex account?

Blogger
HiLine

[ Edited ]

toiletbowl69er wrote:

Revelate wrote:

HiLine wrote:

That's what I figured. Ill most likely wait the 2 months I've had a number of inquiries these last two months from cli and Amex. But if I decided to apply now would it hurt my chances that I just opened the Amex account?

I opened a new credit card with BofA in late November, and just got approved for my first Amex: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Opened-2-accounts-recently-how-long-to-wait-to-apply-fo...

Not sure how much forecasting power my anecdote has. :smileyhappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+