Did you mean: 

Approved Amex Platinum Card!!!!!

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved Amex Platinum Card!!!!!

@chnceit wrote:

@lsdiamond wrote:

I was just approved for the amex platinum (gray) card.. although the710re is a $450 annual fee I will try it for a year then see if its worth keeping. But finally got my hands on it. They pulled Experian credit report my score is around 710. Also, got approved for the amex gold card as well. So excited!!!! Thanks to this site!

Congrats! But I do hope you can use all that benefits to subsidize the $450 AF and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it an up front fee?

But its a nice looking card to have!

Yes it is up front, only the green and gold cards waive the fee for the first year

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 28
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the approvals! Heavy fees! Worth it if you do a ton of travel...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 28
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@ryanbush wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

@lsdiamond wrote:

I was just approved for the amex platinum (gray) card.. although the710re is a $450 annual fee I will try it for a year then see if its worth keeping. But finally got my hands on it. They pulled Experian credit report my score is around 710. Also, got approved for the amex gold card as well. So excited!!!! Thanks to this site!

Congrats! But I do hope you can use all that benefits to subsidize the $450 AF and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it an up front fee?

But its a nice looking card to have!

Yes it is up front, only the green and gold cards waive the fee for the first year

Yup then I hope you do a lot travel and use the heck out of it so you can benefit of that fee

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 13 of 28
DailyDriver
Valued Member

@bs6054 wrote:

That seems a little "Amex and maybe CSP are the only cards".  For gas and grocery spending, PenFed Platinum Rewards has much better rewards (5% and 3%) and no annual fee, and in the comments someone else mentioned the PenFed Amex travel card.  And there are many others.  So I still think the AF for the gold is only going to be justified for heavy travelers who need international biz/first class a lot.  There are plenty of those out there of course, but it's not as obvious as that article seems to suggest.

I agree. I was just pointing out one of the rationalizations for applying for both.  If I traveled more, I could see applying for a targeted 50k MR points PRG offer, and cancelling after the first year to avoid the fee (or upgrading to the Platinum card if I was eligible for the sign up bonus).  Don't know if I would have both at the same time though.

I use the Amex HHonors for most of my spend.  I know some do not value the points as much, but I figure if I can redeem them with AXON rewards for a stay in upper end hotels in Chicago, Hawaii, London, Dublin, or Rome it would be of good value.  

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Double Cash $7K l Chase Sapphire Preferred $10.3K l Discover IT $12K l Chase Freedom $5K l Chase United 10k l Chase Slate 7.2k l Amex Hilton HHonors $12.1K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 16.6K l Barclay US Airways World Mastercard $8K
Message 14 of 28
lsdiamond
Established Member

Yes, from you can apply for more than one card. Applied for both and got approved!

Message 15 of 28
lsdiamond
Established Member

It makes sense when it comes to APR percentages of course. Also, because the Amex platinum card has such an expensive annual fee of $450 I will try it out for one year. Try it out and if I don't like it for any reason I cancel it and will still have my Amex Gold card with the lower annual fee. Therefore, I won't have to reapply for another Amex card plus I will have established payment and credit history from it as well. So, it's sort of like a backup card just in case the Amex Platinum doesn't work out for me.

Message 16 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

Hm... mind if I ask - just out of curiosity - what's the sense of having two charge cards - Gold and Platinum, while both are with AFs? 

I can imagine backdating as a reason or issuing AU card for your spouse only for Gold leaving Platinum only for yourself, but probably that's all I can think of... 

When issuing an AU card with the platinum you have the option of the AU getting a platinum card with full benefits for 175$ or a Gold Card with the Gold Card Benefits for 45$

Same thing with the centurion, an AU is 2500$ or you can choose to get your AU a Platinum or Gold Card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 17 of 28
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Congrats OP!

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 18 of 28
lanc
Regular Contributor

I guess with the CARD act stating your AF can't be over 25% of the credit limit if you get approved for a card with a 2500 AF you know the CL has be at least 10k Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@lanc wrote:

I guess with the CARD act stating your AF can't be over 25% of the credit limit if you get approved for a card with a 2500 AF you know the CL has be at least 10k Smiley Happy

you don't apply for the centurian card, it is by invitation only...  normally you have to spend 250K a year with AMEX on luxury items to be considered

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.