Valued Contributor
ryanbush

Re: Approved Amex Platinum Card!!!!!

chnceit wrote:

lsdiamond wrote:

I was just approved for the amex platinum (gray) card.. although the710re is a $450 annual fee I will try it for a year then see if its worth keeping. But finally got my hands on it. They pulled Experian credit report my score is around 710. Also, got approved for the amex gold card as well. So excited!!!! Thanks to this site!

Congrats! But I do hope you can use all that benefits to subsidize the $450 AF and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it an up front fee?

But its a nice looking card to have!

Yes it is up front, only the green and gold cards waive the fee for the first year

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
webhopper

Congrats on the approvals! Heavy fees! Worth it if you do a ton of travel...

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
chnceit

ryanbush wrote:

chnceit wrote:

lsdiamond wrote:

I was just approved for the amex platinum (gray) card.. although the710re is a $450 annual fee I will try it for a year then see if its worth keeping. But finally got my hands on it. They pulled Experian credit report my score is around 710. Also, got approved for the amex gold card as well. So excited!!!! Thanks to this site!

Congrats! But I do hope you can use all that benefits to subsidize the $450 AF and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it an up front fee?

But its a nice looking card to have!

Yes it is up front, only the green and gold cards waive the fee for the first year

Yup then I hope you do a lot travel and use the heck out of it so you can benefit of that fee

$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13
Valued Member
DailyDriver

bs6054 wrote:

That seems a little "Amex and maybe CSP are the only cards".  For gas and grocery spending, PenFed Platinum Rewards has much better rewards (5% and 3%) and no annual fee, and in the comments someone else mentioned the PenFed Amex travel card.  And there are many others.  So I still think the AF for the gold is only going to be justified for heavy travelers who need international biz/first class a lot.  There are plenty of those out there of course, but it's not as obvious as that article seems to suggest.

I agree. I was just pointing out one of the rationalizations for applying for both.  If I traveled more, I could see applying for a targeted 50k MR points PRG offer, and cancelling after the first year to avoid the fee (or upgrading to the Platinum card if I was eligible for the sign up bonus).  Don't know if I would have both at the same time though.

I use the Amex HHonors for most of my spend.  I know some do not value the points as much, but I figure if I can redeem them with AXON rewards for a stay in upper end hotels in Chicago, Hawaii, London, Dublin, or Rome it would be of good value.  

Citi Forward $6K l Citi Dividend World Mastercard $7.5K l Discover More $8K l Chase Freedom $4K l Amex Hilton HHonors $3.4K l NFCU GoRewards Visa 10K
Established Member
lsdiamond

Yes, from you can apply for more than one card. Applied for both and got approved!

Established Member
lsdiamond

It makes sense when it comes to APR percentages of course. Also, because the Amex platinum card has such an expensive annual fee of $450 I will try it out for one year. Try it out and if I don't like it for any reason I cancel it and will still have my Amex Gold card with the lower annual fee. Therefore, I won't have to reapply for another Amex card plus I will have established payment and credit history from it as well. So, it's sort of like a backup card just in case the Amex Platinum doesn't work out for me.

Valued Contributor
ryanbush

mikka1 wrote:

Hm... mind if I ask - just out of curiosity - what's the sense of having two charge cards - Gold and Platinum, while both are with AFs? 

I can imagine backdating as a reason or issuing AU card for your spouse only for Gold leaving Platinum only for yourself, but probably that's all I can think of... 

When issuing an AU card with the platinum you have the option of the AU getting a platinum card with full benefits for 175$ or a Gold Card with the Gold Card Benefits for 45$

Same thing with the centurion, an AU is 2500$ or you can choose to get your AU a Platinum or Gold Card

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Established Contributor
searchingfor67

Congrats OP!

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCP $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $10.1K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Discover IT $9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $10K | USAA World MC $9K
Regular Contributor
lanc

I guess with the CARD act stating your AF can't be over 25% of the credit limit if you get approved for a card with a 2500 AF you know the CL has be at least 10k :smileyhappy:

Valued Contributor
ryanbush

lanc wrote:

I guess with the CARD act stating your AF can't be over 25% of the credit limit if you get approved for a card with a 2500 AF you know the CL has be at least 10k :smileyhappy:

you don't apply for the centurian card, it is by invitation only...  normally you have to spend 250K a year with AMEX on luxury items to be considered

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+