Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved but... Looking for advice

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Approved but... Looking for advice

I was recently approved for a credit card but they want proof that a tax lien from a few years was paid off before they complete the process.  It hasn't been paid and won't be anytime soon. I told them that I have a letter from the IRS that says they have suspended collection activities for now but might reopen them in the future.  The rep that I talked to told me to send the letter over and see if that will be accepted.  The amount that they show for that lien is $12k.  That letter covers all of my IRS liens and shows a total of about $23k. 

Do I just let it go or send the letter over?  I'm thinking that they might just show the recent lien amount of $12k but with the letter, they will know that the total for all years is higher and that won't help me with them in this case or in the future.

What do you think?

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved but... Looking for advice

Please clarify something: are you definietly approved already or are you pending approval to be determined by said letter?

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 2 of 7
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

It sounds like you may be declined if you do not provide any proof. But, you're right in thinking that the letter may get you into additional trouble. You should ask what would happen if you don't provide the letter - if the answer is we won't give you the credit card, then you might as well take your chances by sending them the letter.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 7
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I was a little confused by it too.   The person at the bank said that I was approved but I just needed to provide them with documentation to show that the lien was paid off. I guess they presumed that it is.  To me, I don't consider it approved until I have a card in hand.  I told her that it isn't paid and that they are no longer pursuing collections so she told me to send that letter in.  I'm trying to build a relationship with the bank so I don't know if giving them the letter that says that but also states that I owe about $10k more than they think is going to help. 

On one hand, I think the card will grow if I get it.  On the other hand, I won't lose any sleep if I don't get it. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 7
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I was thinking about it some more today. I think I will send the letter in.  They mentioned that the lien was fairly large and they had the numbers associated with it so they probably know about the other 3. They are all listed on my credit report. So I don't think it will hurt to send that over to them. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 7
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

I think you have made the right choice and hope it pays off. Good luck!

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.