Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Two Amex Cards on the Same Day

tag
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

Approved for Two Amex Cards on the Same Day

Hi all! I've been anxiously awaiting getting back into the Amex fold since learning about backdating (1994 if all goes well) and decided yesterday was the day. Here's how it went...

I had a "pre-selected" letter for a PRG which I've been wanting and for a BlueSky which I didn't want. I also wanted a BCP.  Since I've read here and elsewhere that revolvers can be harder to get I decided I'd start with a PRG and if that was approved then I'd try the BCP.  Before starting the app I opened Firefox and used the "Your Special Card Offers" in the menu on the Amex site just to see what it would show. I wasn't trying the incognito method I just wanted to see a list of my offers before I started an app to make sure they wouldn't change later.  It listed the TrueEarnings Costco card, the Blue, and the BCP which seemed like positive news. I left that window open and opened a window in a different browser (IE). 

In the second browser I went to the Amex homepage and used the "Respond to Your Mail Offer" menu option where I entered my RSVP number.  That loaded a screen that showed my name and the offer in the mailer for 50k points on a $1k/3 month spend. I filled out the form, proceeded to the final page of the application, held my breath, and clicked the final button (I don't remember what it was labeled.)  A very long 15 seconds later an approval page appeared and there was much rejoicing! I then followed some instructions on the screen and was able to get the account number and register for an online user id.

At that point I got cold feet on applying for the BCP but after 45 minutes I decided the only risk in apping again would be a second HP which I could live with so I went back to the Firefox window, clicked on the BCP offer, completed the form, and after a very, very long 30 seconds (during which I largely blocked my view of the screen with my hand LOL) I saw the screen change. A few seconds later I got comfortable with the possibility of seeing a decline message, slowly moved my hand and was very pleasantly surprised to see another approval page. I tried to follow the same instructions shown on the first app to get the card number but got stuck at the creating an online user id part and gave up without learning what my CL was.

At that point I checked my email and had received confirmations of both approvals. I then tried to login with my new user id but was told that my information could not be verified which I accepted because I was told that it can take 24 hours to get into the system.  I then check the application status page and it showed both approvals. Today I tried to log in again and was told that my account was locked Smiley Sad Next I called a CSR and she unlocked my account. I hung up assuming that I would now see all the information I wanted but only the PRG was listed and there was no sign of the BCP. Sigh... I may call back later or maybe tomorrow but for now I'm just going to wait and enjoy the suspense of not knowing my CL.

Assuming nothing goes wrong with the BCP this confirms that as of July 2014 it's possible to get instant online approval (not counting those long 15 to 30 second waits) for a charge card and a revolver on the same day. I know many people are aware of that but there have been some reports that a second app on the same day will require a manual review.

For the record, just prior to the app, my EX was 759 and my EQ was 761 (those are current FICO 8 scores as of two days ago).  My big concern for being denied was that I only have two primary accounts with an AAoA of 11 months. I do have two other AU accounts with much loner histories but it seems in my case those don't count or count very little in FICO 8 because my FICO 04 scores were 790-810.

I'll report back after I get my CL and let you know how the backdating process goes.

Many thanks to everyone here for all of the shared knowledge, experience, and encouragement I've gotten and best luck on all your upcoming apps and / or gardening!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Approved for Two Amex Cards on the Same Day

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and thanks for the info!
Message 3 of 20
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats x2!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 4 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your 2 new Amex cards Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 20
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 6 of 20
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 20
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Congrats.....

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 8 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

Congrats.....

gratz on the cards, was it one or two hps ? I am trying to find out if amex is doing just one pull if you app for one charge and one revolver. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 20
lexandra90
Frequent Contributor

so awesome! I always wondered how the two amex cards in one day thing works Smiley Happy

Credit: $80K Total Credit Lines...Gardening until 7/2018
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.