cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for my first credit card; the Chase Freedom CC!

tag
Youngcredit23
New Contributor

Approved for my first credit card; the Chase Freedom CC!

Hey everyone,

I am 18 years old, and I was approved for my first credit card, the Chase Freedom, in October.

Initially, when I first applied for the Chase Freedom, I ended up being denied; I was denied due to the fact that I had no previous credit history. When I got the letter I was denied, I called the reconsider phone number and pleaded my case. The lady still did not approve me, and recomended that I start of with a store card.

I was thinking about it, then I realized that because I was a college student, it would be a waste to pay the absurd interest rates that store cards usually offer. I also did not like the fact that I would have to use the store card at one specific store only.

I called the reconsider number once again a few days later, pleaded my case, and thankfully, the nice guy on the phone went ahead and approved me for my first ever credit card. He gave me a 500 CL, which was perfectly fine with me.

It's been three months that I have the Chase Freedom CC, and I love it! I've already taken advantage of the $100 cash back offer, which I loved. I've payed off each monthly statement in full since then, and I absolutely love having a credit card. I love the convience, the perks and rewards, and learning the responsibility at a younger age of having a credit card.

Big thanks to Chase for giving me the oppurtunity to start of with their Chase Freedom! Truely a honor!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for my first credit card; the Chase Freedom CC!

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your first CC with Chase.  Looks like you're off to a good start!

Message 2 of 28
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Congradulations! I was 18 last year just turned 19 yesterday, started out with a 500 dollar Cap 1 Journey card. Now a year later I have over 20k in avalable credit and two AMEX cards with NPSL. So treat that card well and you will be in the 700's club and have more credit.

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 3 of 28
Darrell82
Established Contributor

Welcome to the Forum. And congrats on a very very nice first credit card. Treat her nice and she will make you some good cash back. I love that card and the cash back options they have with it. 

Message 4 of 28
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum and Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 28
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 6 of 28
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, great card to start out with. Others will be scrambling to offer you their cards in no time.
Message 7 of 28
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congrats!

You are coming out of the gate with a super approval right off the bat. There will be more success following.
Message 8 of 28
Youngcredit23
New Contributor

Thank you everyone! I plan on applying for the American Express Gold Premier Rewards next. 

Question. how long before I should be recieving those offers in the mail? And any tips on the American Express Gold card? How long should I wait before I apply for it?

Message 9 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Youngcredit23 wrote:

Thank you everyone! I plan on applying for the American Express Gold Premier Rewards next. 

Question. how long before I should be recieving those offers in the mail? And any tips on the American Express Gold card? How long should I wait before I apply for it?

Look into thickening and establishing your file first for the next 6-12 months.  You may want to add another card (choose wisely) to get an overall mix of tradelines.  Monitor your scores periodically to gauge where you stand so that your chances are optimal when you eventually apply.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.