cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards Approved - Recon For CLI?

tag
ferris274

Barclaycard Rewards Approved - Recon For CLI?

I was approved for the Barclaycard Rewards card last week for $1,500, and I just received the card in the mail today.  I would like to use the card and the 6 mo 0% intro APR to purchase a 15" MacBook, and then PIF within the next 2-3 months after I get my bonus in Jan (the Apple card may have been better for this purpose, but I also wanted a rewards card to use after the intro offer).  $1,500 is a bit short of the full purchase price, but I could do a multicard purchase and pay the remainder with my debit card if need be.

Should I try to recon for a higher CL, or just be happy with what I have and roll with it for now (don't poke the beast)?  If I do try to recon, what should I reasonably ask for?

Other useful info:

Only have 2 other active cards, they are both store cards (GECRB/Amazon @ $405/$3,400; GECRB/JACCNT @ $0/$3,100)

My TU FICO displayed on my Barclaycard account is 748, and is fairly clean with only a 30 day late from 8/2010 (lost job and lost track of things for a bit)

My EQ and EX are in the 680s (don't remember exact score from recent denial prior to apping for the Barclaycard) and both are significantly less clean with 2 accounts that ended up in collections from college in 2007

Current annual income is around $44k

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have.  This is my first post on the board, and I've already learned a lot of valuable info about what to do and not do when it comes to increasing my overall creditworthiness.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Rewards Approved - Recon For CLI?

@ferris274 wrote:

I was approved for the Barclaycard Rewards card last week for $1,500, and I just received the card in the mail today.  I would like to use the card and the 6 mo 0% intro APR to purchase a 15" MacBook, and then PIF within the next 2-3 months after I get my bonus in Jan (the Apple card may have been better for this purpose, but I also wanted a rewards card to use after the intro offer).  $1,500 is a bit short of the full purchase price, but I could do a multicard purchase and pay the remainder with my debit card if need be.

Should I try to recon for a higher CL, or just be happy with what I have and roll with it for now (don't poke the beast)?  If I do try to recon, what should I reasonably ask for?

Other useful info:

@Anonymous have 2 other active cards, they are both store cards (GECRB/Amazon @ $405/$3,400; GECRB/JACCNT @ $0/$3,100)

My TU FICO displayed on my Barclaycard account is 748, and is fairly clean with only a 30 day late from 8/2010 (lost job and lost track of things for a bit)

My EQ and EX are in the 680s (don't remember exact score from recent denial prior to apping for the Barclaycard) and both are significantly less clean with 2 accounts that ended up in collections from college in 2007

Thanks in advance for any advice that you may have.  This is my first post on the board, and I've already learned a lot of valuable info about what to do and not do when it comes to increasing my overall creditworthiness.

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on the new card you surely can recon the CLI but be aware that it may cost another HP 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@ferris274 wrote:

Other useful info:

@Anonymous have 2 other active cards, they are both store cards (GECRB/Amazon @ $405/$3,400; GECRB/JACCNT @ $0/$3,100)

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on the new card you surely can recon the CLI but be aware that it may cost another HP 

+1

Although no guarantee, it doesn't hurt to try and see if there's some wiggle room the can extend.

Message 3 of 13
ferris274

I don't plan on apping for anything else for at least another 6-9 mo, so another HP wouldn't be the end of the world, provided that Barclays doesn't freak themselves out with another HP or something crazy like that.

Message 4 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ferris274 wrote:

I don't plan on apping for anything else for at least another 6-9 mo, so another HP wouldn't be the end of the world, provided that Barclays doesn't freak themselves out with another HP or something crazy like that.

It's going to be their own HP anyways so... they won't freak out.  Some peeps around here freak out over HPs.  Best of luck on your CLI efforts!

Message 5 of 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 13
ferris274

UPDATE:  I just called in to the backdoor number and spoke to a very friendly credit analyst.  They did inform me that the would have to do another HP, but after he did that and asked a few more questions, I was approved for an additional $1k, bringing my CL to $2,500. Smiley Happy

However, after asking a few more questions, it appears that I somehow did not qualify for the 0% intro APR, even though that was the offer that I thought that I had applied for (maybe I didn't, but I'm pretty sure that's their standard deal right now).  After speaking to 2 more reps, they said that they weren't able to locate anything about that offer, nor were they able to reduce my APR to anything less than 24.99%.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Message 7 of 13
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I would go to the landing page on where you applied. Print it out and send to them showing the promo which was offered if indeed. Don't let them win! Good luck!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 8 of 13
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 9 of 13
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:
I would go to the landing page on where you applied. Print it out and send to them showing the promo which was offered if indeed. Don't let them win! Good luck!

+1.  Or just send a secure message including the URL to the page you used to apply and ask to fix the error.  I had an error with my bonus points when I applied for the Arrival card, but was able to get credited the points via secure messages.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.