Reply
Valued Member
Goalof800
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎06-26-2011

BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

I have a BoA Cash Rewards card which has been sitting at a $2,000 CL for about a year. I don't use the card much (up to $200/month on groceries and miscellaneous expenses when a business doesn't accept AMEX), but I wanted to up the limit to keep it in line with my other cards and keep improving my credit score.

 

1) What is the maximum increase I can ask for?

 

2) Does this card automatically convert into a VISA signature once I get a $5,000 CL? Any pros/cons I should watch out for?

 

Thanks!

AMEX Zync (NPSL) | AMEX SPG ($5,600) | BoA Cash Rewards ($5,000) | WF Visa ($5,000)
Frequent Contributor
OptimasPrime
Posts: 348
Registered: ‎08-17-2012

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?


Goalof800 wrote:

I have a BoA Cash Rewards card which has been sitting at a $2,000 CL for about a year. I don't use the card much (up to $200/month on groceries and miscellaneous expenses when a business doesn't accept AMEX), but I wanted to up the limit to keep it in line with my other cards and keep improving my credit score.

 

1) What is the maximum increase I can ask for?

 

2) Does this card automatically convert into a VISA signature once I get a $5,000 CL? Any pros/cons I should watch out for?

 

Thanks!


AFAIK there is no limit to the % increase you can ask for from bofa. They like to hp tu for clis most of the time.

 

I'm not sure if the they will convert automatically to visa signature for 5k+ tradelines, but I do know that bofa does not report a credit limit on their visa sig products, so that is definitely something to be aware of.

 

 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Regular Contributor
ukimafija
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎08-13-2012

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

[ Edited ]

There is no % you can ask for ,I always ask >100%, it is gonna be a HP on TU most likely, and you can ask them to match your card to the other limits.

They will look at your relationship with them, I would temporary put all my money into BOFA checking before i ask for a CLI. So far in 4x with this i never got declined cli.

You will get a signature automatically, but if you need limits to show just switch to a Cash rewards World Mastercard after you get a CLI.

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
YahComb
Posts: 588
Registered: ‎03-10-2012

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?


OptimasPrime wrote:

Goalof800 wrote:

I have a BoA Cash Rewards card which has been sitting at a $2,000 CL for about a year. I don't use the card much (up to $200/month on groceries and miscellaneous expenses when a business doesn't accept AMEX), but I wanted to up the limit to keep it in line with my other cards and keep improving my credit score.

 

1) What is the maximum increase I can ask for?

 

2) Does this card automatically convert into a VISA signature once I get a $5,000 CL? Any pros/cons I should watch out for?

 

Thanks!


AFAIK there is no limit to the % increase you can ask for from bofa. They like to hp tu for clis most of the time.

 

I'm not sure if the they will convert automatically to visa signature for 5k+ tradelines, but I do know that bofa does not report a credit limit on their visa sig products, so that is definitely something to be aware of.

 

 


IME BOA is not too tough on the lower end-in july i went from 1.2K to 3K and October i went from 3K to 6K-both CLI's gave me my highest credit line at the time. They will not automatically convert a platinum plus to a visa signature-it's only automatic if approved at 5K or higher. If you reach 5K through CLI's, you have to ask them to change it.

EQ-728(03/31/14) TU-761(03/19/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 7.5K | Disc It 9K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 2.67yr AAOA: 21.8 mo
New Contributor
darkpearl
Posts: 72
Registered: ‎03-22-2012

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

I've gotten 2 CLI's. The first was from 2K to 4.5K. The 2nd one was from 4.5K to 7.9K. I asked for >2x like last time, but they only gave me 7.9K (I am OK with that though!). They said that the increase was adequate for the tradeline (even though I have to make payments multiple times per month to stay under because I share it with my fiance). They also said my util was high even though with my AU on a 12K card and my 2 jared's cards at 10.5K I never have overall high util, so they must have meant specific cards. My BOA was just paid off so I guess when I want more CLIs in the future I'll treat it like apping for a new card and make sure everything is low individually. Mine is not a sig so the poster right above me is right, does not convert on CLI.

darkpearl's cc's
768 (EX 4/13)
Established Contributor
tennisfan78
Posts: 627
Registered: ‎09-18-2011

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

They have increased my credit limit from $500 to $3000 after a hp on TU. My util was low, and I waited for a year.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 16,867
Registered: ‎10-23-2007

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

It's a HP, so I would ask for $25k unless you are at $20k now... maybe then you should ask for $100K!!!

 

Im not realy aware of any banks currently that will flat out deny you because you asked for to much, they will 1. counter, 2. ask if you want a HP to see about that request, or give it to you.

Fico Scores: EQ 620, TU 675 & EX 703 (4-1-14)
Joint Cards: Navy NavCheck $15000, Discover iT $9000, Macy Amex $4000, Macy Store $3000, Macy Furniture $5800
AU: Virgin America $8500, CSP $27,000, Fidelity Amex $25,000, AA Biz $25,000, Barclay USAir Biz $6640
Mine: Navy NavCheck $3000, Kay Jewelry $2700, Pottery Barn $2800, FleetCard MC Biz $1800, HSN $1500, Vitacost MC $1500, Navy Cash $1500 and nRewards $1500, Bill Me Later $772, Cap1 Sony $750, Cap1 Spark $750, Best Buy MC $750, GE 76 Gas $650, Von Maur $600, Cap1 QuickSilver $500, Burbank CU $500, Kohls $300, Target1 $300, Target2 $300, Buckle $250, Express $250, Target3 $200
Established Contributor
FloridaState12
Posts: 614
Registered: ‎08-24-2011

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

I just got one a couple days ago from $800 to $5,000. HP on TU.

Photobucket
Frequent Contributor
mikka1
Posts: 269
Registered: ‎12-28-2011

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?

Unfortunately, opposite to the most of said here, I had a rather bad experience with BofA CLIs - I asked an increase on my 1-2-3 Cash Rewads card that I've had for almost a year by that time with mere $500 CL and have been declined actually twice - first time in the letter and second time during recon on the phone. It took me TWO HPs on my TU not to get even $250 increase despite very heavy usage on that card (in relative terms, obviously, but I was charging at least $300-400 every month, so 60-80% of my limit and have been always PIFing it). 

Currently it's still my lowest limit card with $500 CL for almost 1,5 years now... and obviously it's in the SD. 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum
Blogger
HiLine
Posts: 2,723
Registered: ‎10-19-2012

Re: BoA CLI - What increase % can I ask for?


Creditaddict wrote:

It's a HP, so I would ask for $25k unless you are at $20k now... maybe then you should ask for $100K!!!

 

Im not realy aware of any banks currently that will flat out deny you because you asked for to much, they will 1. counter, 2. ask if you want a HP to see about that request, or give it to you.


Pretty sure BofA will automatically hit you with an inquiry without asking though ...


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+