cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bye Amex! Other Approvals! (New Guy)

tag
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Bye Amex! Other Approvals! (New Guy)

Still doesn't explain why his wife got a lower limit. I'm perplexed.

I will probably start a thread to get everyone's opinions for my odds of approval and potential starting line when I'm ready to apply. I still have promotional spending offers going on two of my cards so I will wait until those are over. But then, I think this will be the next card in my wallet.

Congratulations again, Wolfman!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 11 of 15
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! All of these Discover It success stories are making it very hard for me to not apply..

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 12 of 15
randeman
Frequent Contributor

See, the crappy part that I don't get is your having a stellar record with Amex for years and then you try to work with them and they say "eff off."  I know this isn't endemic to just Amex, but I think they should give heavy consideration to your history WITH THEM.  I know what the statistics say, but isn't that the part of the whole point of having recon lines?  That they look past the automation and factor in the human? 

I have a thread where Amex turned me down because of a judgment from last July.  My argument with them was, look at my payment record!  The judgment had nothing to do with my ability to pay, it was a series of missteps and my memory.  But, they wouldn't consider it.  I respect their guidelines,  Now, some people think I am reacting with "sour grapes" when I say Amex can eff off, but most of their products are not all that "special" and if they can't work with me, then there are plenty of other banks and products out there that will.  Love you, Discover!!!

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 13 of 15
WolfMan
Regular Contributor

@randeman wrote:

See, the crappy part that I don't get is your having a stellar record with Amex for years and then you try to work with them and they say "eff off."  I know this isn't endemic to just Amex, but I think they should give heavy consideration to your history WITH THEM.  I know what the statistics say, but isn't that the part of the whole point of having recon lines?  That they look past the automation and factor in the human? 

I have a thread where Amex turned me down because of a judgment from last July.  My argument with them was, look at my payment record!  The judgment had nothing to do with my ability to pay, it was a series of missteps and my memory.  But, they wouldn't consider it.  I respect their guidelines,  Now, some people think I am reacting with "sour grapes" when I say Amex can eff off, but most of their products are not all that "special" and if they can't work with me, then there are plenty of other banks and products out there that will.  Love you, Discover!!!

Exactly my original thought. Figured after asking for a recon, I'd be fine, or offered another product. I even stated on the phone, Give me the same credit limit. Was just finally hoping for a card I could "grow" with. 

In the end, their denial got me a nice Discover, which I may not have applied for. I honestly was just testing the waters. 

Maybe in a few months I'll try again, Maybe not. 

I think their main problem that needs to be fixed is being able to apply for something while having an Optima card. Instead of forcing you to concel, it should still let your app go through, and auto cancel it like 30 days after being approved for something new. I hated that I had to cancel it, and screw up my AAoA big time. 

Message 14 of 15
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, that was crappy, too.  It's like they almost knew in advance that they were going to reject you.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.